Dr Pip Wallace
Qualifications: LLB Auck, LLM (Hons) Waikato, PhD Waikato
Pip's research has a focus on examining the intersections between natural systems and regulatory frameworks and the implications of this for law and planning. An important theme relates to biodiversity conservation and finding solutions to challenges, particularly those relating to coexistence between humans and wildlife. More broadly Pip's research concerns:
- All areas of Environmental Law, with particular focus on the Resource Management Act 1991 and statutory processes governing resource use, development and protection.
- Spatial planning, regulation and governance
- Local government law and planning
- The common law as it relates to the environment
- Special focus areas - resource management plans, development, conservation, biodiversity, threatened species, planning methods, spatial planning, internalisation of effects, property rights, farming, organic production, professional planning practice, the legal aspects of environmental modelling and other decision support tools.
- 2015 The University of Waikato Teaching Excellence Award
- 2015 The Faculty of Arts and Social Science Teaching Excellence Award
van Gool, E., Campbell, M., Wallace, P., & Hewitt, C. L. (2021). Marine Debris on New Zealand Beaches - Baseline Data to Evaluate Regional Variances. Frontiers in Environmental Science, 9. doi:10.3389/fenvs.2021.700415
Hanna, C., & Wallace, P. (2021). Planning the urban foodscape: Policy and regulation of urban agriculture in Aotearoa New Zealand. Kotuitui: New Zealand Journal Of Social Sciences Online. doi:10.1080/1177083X.2021.1996403
Wallace, P., & Holman, J. (2019). The state of well-being - A search for meaning in the New Zealand Regulatory Environment. New Zealand Journal of Environmental Law, 23, 1-30. Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/13658
Wallace, P., & Holman, J. (2019). Aeroconservation – challenges for law and policy. Environmental and Planning Law Journal, 36(6), 692-714. Retrieved from https://www.waikato.ac.nz/fass/about/staff/pwallace Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/13488
Find more research publications by Pip Wallace
Environment; Environmental Impacts; Environmental Law; Environmental Policy and Politics; Environmental Resources and Planning; Law
Resource management law, planning law, resource management plans, conservation and wildlife protection conservation planning, organic farms and the law, drones, UAV/RPA, environmental models, decision support tools.