Dr Philip Ross
Senior Research Fellow
Qualifications: BSc, MSc Auckland, PhD Waikato
Personal Website: http://www.philrossnz.com
I am a marine ecologist at the University of Waikato. Since 2012 I have worked as a Research Fellow/Post-doc at the University of Waikato's Coastal Marine Field Station in Tauranga.
For more details about my research and opportunities for students please check out my website
- Bennion, Matthew (in progress). The ecological and physiological impacts of Rikettsialike infections on toheroa (Paphies ventricosa) and tuatua (P. subtriangulata). (Chief supervisor: Ian McDonald).
- Taikato, Vanessa (in progress). The science behind ahumoana tawhito (ancient aquaculture): translocation of toheroa by early-Maori. (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- Forde, Jacinta (in progress). Nga Taonga Toheroa: The cultural significance of toheroa in the Maori world. (Chief supervisor: Fiona McCormack).
- Cadwallader, Helen (2020) Diet composition and heavy metal accumulation in NZ Batoid Elasmobranchs. (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- McCormack, Sam (in progress) Sponge taxonomy and conservation. (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- Kellet, Melissa (in progress) Coastal habitat partitioning by sharks and rays (elasmobranchs). (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- Cope, Jane (2018) The effects of changing land use on habitat suitability and the recovery of toheroa.
- King, Staci (2017) Connectivity between aquaculture farms and Sabella spallazanii: rafting potential and treatment options. (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- Brooke, Nathania (2015) Larval fish ecology of Tauranga Harbour. (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- Sturgess, Nicole (2015) Mapping the ecological and biophysical character of seabed habitats of the Paraninihi Marine Reserve, Taranaki, New Zealand.
- Dempsey, Te Puea (2015) Toitu Te Moananui a Toi – The Effects of the MV Rena on the Water Quality, Chemistry and Zooplankton of Otaiti (Astrolabe Reef). (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- McSweeney, Caleb (2015) Rena copper sediment effects to Paua (Haliotis iris). (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- McCormack, Sam (2015) The Taxonomy of Demospongiae (Porifera) from the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand - connecting Linnaean and Phylogenetic Classification. (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- Taikato, Vanessa (2014) Estuarine condition and macro-benthic communities in Te Tāhuna o Rangataua, Te Awanui, Tauranga Harbour. (Chief supervisor: Chris Battershill).
- Platt, Amy(2015) Effects of copper on macroalgae recruitment.
My area of specialty is marine community ecology and molecular ecology with a focus on temperate soft sediment and rocky reef ecosystems. I’m interested in understanding how communities of sea creatures respond to and recover from disturbances, particularly man-made disturbances. For the last few years my research has been focused on trying to determine the ecological effects of the MV Rena grounding on Astrolabe Reef. Recently, I have begun working on toheroa, a large endemic surf clam occurring on only a handful of west coast surf beaches. For this work I will be combining archaeology and population genetics with Matauranga Māori (Māori knowledge) to gain a better understanding of early human influences on the distribution of toheroa and the extent to which early Māori manipulated their marine environment.
Bennion, M., Ross, P. M., Lane, H. S., & McDonald, I. R. (2022). Bacterial composition in the toheroa (Paphies ventricosa), a threatened surf clam from Aotearoa (New Zealand). Marine Biology, 169(3). doi:10.1007/s00227-022-04025-y
Bennion, M., Lane, H., McDonald, I. R., & Ross, P. (2022). Histopathology of a threatened surf clam, toheroa (Paphies ventricosa) from Aotearoa New Zealand. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, 188. doi:10.1016/j.jip.2022.107716
Bennion, M., Ross, P., Howells, J., McDonald, I. R., & Lane, H. (2021). Characterisation and distribution of the bacterial genus Endozoicomonas in a threatened surf clam. Diseases of aquatic organisms, 146, 91-105. doi:10.3354/dao03626
Nepper-Davidsen, J., Magnusson, M., Glasson, C. R. K., Ross, P. M., & Lawton, R. J. (2021). Implications of genetic structure for aquaculture and cultivar translocation of the Kelp Ecklonia radiata in Northern New Zealand. Frontiers in Marine Science, 8. doi:10.3389/fmars.2021.749154
Find more research publications by Philip Ross
Contact DetailsEmail: [email protected]
Room: Coastal Marine Field Station, 58 Cross Road, Sulphur Point, Tauranga
Phone: 07 578 4465 x 7507
Cellphone: 021 105 2759