Professor Louis Schipper
Qualifications: BSc, MSc, PhD Waikato
Personal Website: http://waiber.com
- Dorisel Torres-Rojas (2019-present) Enhancing performance of denitrifying bioreactors
- Jordan Goodrich (2019-present) Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from pastures, temperature dependence of the terrestrial biosphere
- Liyin Liang (2015-2018) Paddock scale nitrous oxide fluxes
PhD (Chief supervisor only)
- Corbett, Thomas (in progress) Enhancing DGT performance
- Wall, Aaron (in progress) Does increasing supplement feed import to dairy farms result in increases in soil carbon?
- Robinson, Jasmine (in progress) Stability of newly incorporated carbon soil
- Wecking, Anne (in progress) Paddock scale nitrous oxide emissions from grazed pastures: quantification and mitigation.
- Rambags, Femke (2019). Microbial contaminant removal and alternative nitrogen removal pathways in denitrifying bioreactors.
- Balvert, Sheree (2018). Can naturally occurring glucosinolate related compounds from Brassica crops act as biological nitrification inhibitors and reduce nitrous oxide emissions?
- Pronger, Jack (2017). Water use in mixed sward and ryegrass clover pasture systems under dairy grazing.
- McNally, Samuel (2016). The contribution of roots of different pasture swards to stable soil organic matter.
- Welten, Brendon (2014). Effects of oral administration of dicyandiamide to cattle on nitrogen leaching losses from grazed pastures.
- Mudge, Paul (2012) Changes in d15N in pastoral soils under varying management intensity.
- Lambie, Suzanne (2012). Soil carbon loss under pasture and pine: Responses to urine addition.
- Cameron, Stewart (2011). Manipulation of carbon media, temperature and hydraulic efficiency to increase nitrate removal rate in denitrification beds.
- Warneke, Sören (2011). Microbial processes and nitrate removal in denitrification beds.
MSc (Chief supervisor only)
- Charlotte Robertson (MSc 2018-present) Management solutions to profitably reduce nitrate leaching from Canterbury dairy farms
- Kristyn Numa (MSc 2018-present) Temperature dependence of soil respiration of simple carbon compounds
- Hannah Dougherty (MSc 2019 – present) assessing nitrate removal in bioreactors using DGTs. Fulbright Fellow
- Millar, Jamie (2018) Changes in soil C and N stocks due to irrigation of pumice soils
- Robinson, Jasmine (2016). Temperature sensitivity of soil respiration.
- Jordan, Olivia (2015). Root biomass under range of pasture swards - implications for soil carbon stocks.
- Carter, Anna (2014). The temperature response of nitrate removal in denitrification beds.
- Norris, Timothy (2014). Detection of differences in soil carbon and nitrogen stocks between dairy and drystock pastures
- Chibnall, Emma (2013). Contribution of dissolved organic carbon leaching to the annual carbon budget of a dairy farm.
- Barnett, Alice (2012). Comparison of soil carbon and nitrogen stocks of adjacent dairy and drystock pastures.
- Wallace, Dirk (2010). Carbon dynamics of a dairy pasture: annual balance and impact of cultivation.
- Long, Lauren (2011). Long term nitrate removal in a denitrification wall.
Louis is an environmental biogeochemist with research interests in long-term changes in soil organic matter, nitrogen cycling with a focus on denitrification and nitrogen immobilisation, impacts of land use change, carbon fluxes and nutrient cycling in agricultural and indigenous ecosystems, including wetlands and soil microbial ecology. He teaches soil science at undergraduate and graduate levels. My resume is here.
Opportunities for postgraduate study
Louis is interested in a range of PhD and MSc projects examining cycling of carbon and nitrogen in soil and waterways. Major foci are to determine approaches that (i) decrease nitrogen entering waterways by manipulating denitrification, and (ii) sequester carbon dioxide from the atmosphere into soil carbon below grazed pastures. A final area of interest is to understand how temperature controls soil biogeochemical processes using macro-molecular rate theory.
Further details can be found at my website.
We completed a special issue of the journal "Ecological Engineering" focusing on managing denitrification in human dominated ecosystems. The National Science Foundation in the United States put out a press release describing the issue.
Soil Carbon and Nitrogen
Wecking, A. R., Wall, A. M., Liáng, L. L., Lindsey, S. B., Luo, J., Campbell, D. I., & Schipper, L. A. (2020). Reconciling annual nitrous oxide emissions of an intensively grazed dairy pasture determined by eddy covariance and emission factors. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 287. doi:10.1016/j.agee.2019.106646
Schipper, L. A., Petrie, O. J., O'Neill, T. A., Mudge, P. L., Liáng, L. L., Robinson, J. M., & Arcus, V. L. (2019). Shifts in temperature response of soil respiration between adjacent irrigated and non-irrigated grazed pastures. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 285. doi:10.1016/j.agee.2019.106620
Ratcliffe, J. L., Campbell, D. I., Schipper, L. A., Wall, A. M., & Clarkson, B. R. (2019). Recovery of the CO2 sink in a remnant peatland following water table lowering. Science of The Total Environment, 134613. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.134613
Maxwell, B. M., Birgand, F., Schipper, L. A., Christianson, L. E., Tian, S., Helmers, M. J., . . . Youssef, M. A. (2019). Increased Duration of Drying–Rewetting Cycles Increases Nitrate Removal in Woodchip Bioreactors. Agricultural & Environmental Letters, 4(1), 1-4. doi:10.2134/ael2019.07.0028
Find more research publications by Louis Schipper
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4468