Dr Shari L Gallop
Qualifications: PhD, MSc(Hons), BSc
Iwi: Te Rarawa, Ngati Maru
- Sargent, Joshua (in progress). Adaptation to flooding hazards in the Firth of Thames, New Zealand, University of Waikato (co-supervisor)
- Razzaghi, Mojgan (in progress). Flushing times and water quality in the the Maketū estuary due to river rediversion, University of Waikato (lead supervisor)
- Fellowes, Thomas (2020). Classification of embayed beach morphology and quantifying the influence of headlands on beach and surf zone morphodynamics, Macquarie University (co-supervisor)
- Chirol, Clementine (2018). Morphological evolution of managed realignment schemes, University of Southampton (co-supervisor)
- Pitman, Sebastian (2017). Morphological control of rip channel hazard signature, University of Southampton (co-supervisor)
- Kettle, Tyla (in progress). Mātauranga Māori to inform our understanding of population dynamics and health of pipi in Waihi estuary, University of Waikato (lead supervisor)
- Bailey-Winiata, Akuhata (in progress). Potential impacts of sea level rise and storms on New Zealand coastal marae, University of Waikato (lead supervisor)
- De Staerke, Vincent (2018). Decadal evolution of estuarine beaches, Macquarie University (lead supervisor)
- Denning, Eleanor (2015). The impact of the winter storm activity in 2013-2014 on coastal morphology along the South Coast of the UK, MSci, University of Southampton (lead supervisor)
- Li, S. (2015). Identifying clusters of storm wave events at a site in the UK, MSc, University of Southampton (co-supervisor)
Honors, interns & summer research students
- Kōpae, Aroha (2021). Assess summer harvesting pressure on shellfish in Waihī Estuary Summer Research Student, University of Waikato (lead supervisor)
- Whyte, Henry (2020). Residence time and kaimoana in southern Tauranga Harbour/ Te Awanui, Summer Research Student, University of Waikato (lead supervisor)
- Bailey-Winiata, Akuhata (2020). Mapping proximity of New Zealand coastal marae to the coastline and fluvial systems using GIS, Summer Research Student, University of Waikato (co-supervisor)
I am a marine environmental scientist. My research spans a broad range from coastal morphodynamics, through coastal hazards, to estuarine processes and the science of estuarine restoration. I use a range of techniques such as in situ field measurements, combined with remote sensing techniques (e.g., video) and numerical modelling to understand relationships between meteorological, hydrodynamic, and geological processes. I am also working on bridge across mātauranga Māori (Māori knowledge) and western science.
I have a strong track recovery in community and media engagement. I am the 2020 L'Oreal-UNESCO For Women in Science Fellow for New Zealand, for my research on the science of estuarine restoration and how to account for climate change. I have worked across a broad range of media, including BBC Coast New Zealand, newspaper, TV news and radio. I am an advocate for gender equaltiy in STEM and co-chair of Women in Coastal Geoscience and Engineering and Associate Editor for Anthropocene Coasts.
See Google Scholar for a full list of my research output: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=RPMSp-sAAAAJ&hl=en
Vila-Concejo, A., Gallop, S., & Largier, J. (2020). Sandy beaches in estuaries and bays. In D. Jackson, & A. Short (Eds.), Sandy Beach Morphodynamics (1 ed.). Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier.
Muñoz-Perez, J. J., Gallop, S. L., & Moreno, L. J. (2020). A Comparison of Beach Nourishment Methodology and Performance at Two Fringing Reef Beaches in Waikiki (Hawaii, USA) and Cadiz (SW Spain). Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 8(4), 266. doi:10.3390/jmse8040266
Gallop, S. L., Kennedy, D. M., Loureiro, C., Naylor, L. A., Muñoz-Pérez, J. J., Jackson, D. W. T., & Fellowes, T. E. (2020). Geologically controlled sandy beaches: Their geomorphology, morphodynamics and classification. Science of the Total Environment, 731, 14 pages. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.139123
Gallop, S., Bryan, K. R., & Winter, G. (2020). The surf zone. In D. Jackson, & A. Short (Eds.), Sandy Beach Morphodynamics (1 ed.). Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier.
Find more research publications by Shari Gallop
Climate; Coastal Sciences; Coastal Zone Management; Marine; Oceanography; Science
Contact DetailsEmail: [email protected]
Room: Coastal Marine Field Station, Sulphur Point, Tauranga
Phone: +64 2254587167