Dr Tim Walmsley
Senior Lecturer in Chemical and Process Engineering
Qualifications: BE(Hons), PhD (Univ. of Waikato), Doc (Brno Univ. of Tech.), CEng, MIChemE, MEngNZ
Personal Website: https://eng.waikato.ac.nz/research/WaiSEW
Tim is a product of Hamilton, a graduate of the University of Waikato and a Chartered Engineer (CEng). He spent three years as a researcher in the Energy Research Group at Waikato (2014 – 2017), working closely with Fonterra, Oji Fibre Solutions and Scion on disruptive engineering solutions. In 2017 – 2019, he helped establish the Sustainable Process Integration Laboratory, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at Brno University of Technology in the Czech Republic, before returning to Waikato as a Senior Lecturer in the School of Engineering.
Tim received the 2016 International Young Chemical Engineer in Research Award by IChemE (UK), has co-chaired and organised five international conferences on Process Integration, and edited more than seven special issues and volumes of high-ranking international journals.
In the School of Engineering, Tim contributes as a key researcher in the Sustainable Energy, Water and Resilient Systems research group, convenes and teaches in several general and discipline-specific engineering papers (see list below), and co-convenes the Diploma of Engineering Professional Practice (DipEPP) – a parallel program to the B.E.(Hons) programmes that equips graduates with enhanced business management expertise and skills.
- Florian Schlosser (PhD, 2020), Heat pumping for industry, Kassel University, Germany (International supervisor; In progress).
- Nathan S. Lal (PhD, 2020), Automated Retrofit of Heat Exchanger Networks, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Waiting for examination).
- Benjamin Ong (PhD, 2019), A Kraft Mill-Integrated Biorefinery Design for New Zealand, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
- Amir Tarighaleslami (PhD, 2018), Unified Total Site Heat Integration: Targeting, Optimisation and Network Design, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
- Chris Anderson (MSc(Research), 2021), Self-protection for critical industrial energy systems and infrastructure, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; In progress).
- Aoran Han (MEngPrac, 2020) - The development of high-temperature heat pump system in milk spray dryer system, University of Waikato (Chief Supervisor; Passed).
- Wynn Phyuphyu (ME, 2016), Energy Return on Investment for Hydro Power in Myanmar, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
- Akash Lokhande (ME, 2015), Vacuum Steam Desuperheating and Condensation: An Experimental Investigation, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
Tim's research focuses on designing sustainable energy systems – unit operations, processes, industrial sites, regions and global – by applying novel process modelling, integration, and optimisation methods. His research applications centre on four areas:
- Digital Twin with process integration, evolution and optimisation: the development of novel algorithms, methods and superstructures, captured in software, to automatically solve highly combinatoric, dynamic and non-linear industrial process synthesis and retrofit problems involving heat, power, water, and other utilities.
- Industrial process electrification: the electrification of industrial processes through novel multistage and high temperature heat pump technology. The redesign of processes to efficiently switch to electricity use in place of process heat.
- Sustainable and circular economy: the optimisation of material and energy flows within a Circular Economy context to maximise total sustainability considering the trade-off between multiple cost and footprint dimensions (GHG, energy, water, land, etc.).
- Integrated biorefineries: the transformation of Kraft pulp mills into biorefineries, powered by geothermal heat, to produce liquid fuels suitable for the transportation sector.
Gai, L., Varbanov, P. S., Walmsley, T. G., & Klemeš, J. J. (2020). Critical analysis of process integration options for joule-cycle and conventional heat pumps. Energies, 13(3). doi:10.3390/en13030635
Lee, P. Y., Liew, P. Y., Walmsley, T. G., Wan Alwi, S. R., & Klemeš, J. J. (2020). Total Site Heat and Power Integration for Locally Integrated Energy Sectors. Energy, 204. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2020.117959
Sing, C. K. L., Lim, J. S., Walmsley, T. G., Liew, P. Y., Goto, M., & Shaikh Salim, S. A. Z. B. (2020). Time-dependent integration of solar thermal technology in industrial processes. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(6). doi:10.3390/su12062322
Fan, Y. V., Klemeš, J. J., Walmsley, T. G., & Bertók, B. (2020). Implementing Circular Economy in municipal solid waste treatment system using P-graph. Science of the Total Environment, 701. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.134652
Find more research publications by Tim Walmsley
Computing; Energy; Engineering; Environmental Impacts; Fluid Mechanics; Materials and Processing; Sustainability; Technology
Contact DetailsEmail: [email protected]
Phone: +64 7 838 4619