Dr Tim Walmsley
Senior Lecturer in Chemical and Process Engineering
Qualifications: BE(Hons), PhD (Waikato), Doc (Brno Tech.), CEng, MIChemE, MEngNZ
Personal Website: https://eng.waikato.ac.nz/research/energy
Tim is a product of Hamilton, a Waikato PhD graduate, a Chartered Engineer and a Chiefs supporter. His research career started with the Energy Research Group at Waikato (2014 – 2017), working closely with Fonterra, Oji Fibre Solutions and Scion on external research contracts. In March 2017, he departed for the Czech Republic and helped establish the Sustainable Process Integration Laboratory as a Senior Research in the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering of Brno University of Technology. Tim returned to Waikato in late 2019 to take up the post of Senior Lecturer in the School of Engineering.
Highlights from Tim's career include receiving the 2016 International Young Chemical Engineer in Research Award by IChemE (UK), co-chairing and organising five international conferences for researchers in the field of Process Integration, editing several special issues of high-ranking international journals, and supervising several highly-talented PhD and Master's students to completion.
In the School of Engineering, Tim contributes as an Assistant Director of Ahuora - Centre for Smart Energy Systems, teaches in several undergraduate engineering papers, leads the organisation of the Waikato Engineering Design Show, oversees the 3rd year engineering work placement papers, and convenes the Diploma in Engineering Management (DipEM).
- Isaac Severinsen (PhD, 2023), Efficient, dynamic, digital twin models of process unit operations using modern regression, University of Auckland (Co-supervisor; In progress)
- Florian Schlosser (PhD, 2020), Heat pumping for industry, Kassel University, Germany (International supervisor; Passed)
- Nathan S. Lal (PhD, 2020), Automated Retrofit of Heat Exchanger Networks, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed)
- Benjamin Ong (PhD, 2019), A Kraft Mill-Integrated Biorefinery Design for New Zealand, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed)
- Amir Tarighaleslami (PhD, 2018), Unified Total Site Heat Integration: Targeting, Optimisation and Network Design, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed)
- Keri-Marie Adamson (ME, 2022), High-temperature transcritical recuperative heat pumping, University of Waikato (Chief Supervisor; In progress)
- Chris Anderson (MSc(Research), 2021), Self-protection for critical industrial energy systems and infrastructure, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; In progress)
- Aoran Han (MEngPrac, 2020) - The development of high-temperature heat pump system in milk spray dryer system, University of Waikato (Chief Supervisor; Passed)
- Wynn Phyuphyu (ME, 2016), Energy Return on Investment for Hydro Power in Myanmar, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed)
- Akash Lokhande (ME, 2015), Vacuum Steam Desuperheating and Condensation: An Experimental Investigation, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed)
Tim's research focuses on designing sustainable energy systems – unit operations, processes, industrial sites, regions and global – by applying novel process modelling, integration, and optimisation methods. Research interests and areas include:
- Digital Twin for process integration, evolution and optimisation: the development of novel algorithms, methods and superstructures, captured in software, to automatically solve highly combinatoric, dynamic and non-linear industrial process synthesis and retrofit problems involving heat, power, water, and other utilities.
- Industrial process electrification for decarbonisation: the electrification of industrial processes through novel multistage and high temperature heat pump technology. The redesign of processes to efficiently switch to electricity use in place of process heat.
- Sustainable and circular economy: the optimisation of material and energy flows within a Circular Economy context to maximise total sustainability considering the trade-off between multiple cost and footprint dimensions (GHG, energy, water, land, etc.).
Kong, C. L. S., Lim, J. S., Walmsley, T. G., Liew, P. Y., & Goto, M. (2021). Stagnation and Solar Fraction Analysis on Solar Thermal Integration in Southeast Asia. Process Integration and Optimization for Sustainability. doi:10.1007/s41660-021-00165-8
Jesper, M., Schlosser, F., Pag, F., Walmsley, T. G., Schmitt, B., & Vajen, K. (2021). Large-scale heat pumps: Uptake and performance modelling of market-available devices. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 137. doi:10.1016/j.rser.2020.110646
Xia, A., Show, P. L., Reungsang, A., & Walmsley, T. (2021). Editorial: Innovative Technology and System Integration for Gaseous Biofuels Production. Frontiers in Energy Research, 9. doi:10.3389/fenrg.2021.709001
Hoong, K. J., Liew, P. Y., Walmsley, T. G., Jamian, N. R., & Lim, J. S. (2021). Integration of LiBr/H2O absorption heat pump and absorption heat transformer in total site heat integration. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 83, 139-144. doi:10.3303/CET2183024
Find more research publications by Tim Walmsley
Computing; Energy; Engineering; Environmental Impacts; Fluid Mechanics; Materials and Processing; Sustainability; Technology
Contact DetailsEmail: [email protected]
Phone: +64 7 838 4619
Cellphone: +64 27 228 0367