Dr Tim Walmsley
Senior Lecturer in Process Engineering
Qualifications: BE (Hons), PhD (Univ. of Waikato), Doc (Brno Univ. of Tech.), CEng, MIChemE
Tim is a product of Hamilton, a graduate of the University of Waikato and a Chartered Engineer (CEng). He spent three years as a researcher in the Energy Research Group at Waikato (2014-2017), working closely with Fonterra, Oji Fibre Solutions and Scion to develop disruptive engineering solutions to radically increase energy efficiency and identify synergistic ways to produce biofuels. Over the next three years, he helped establish the Sustainable Process Integration Laboratory, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at Brno University of Technology (2017-2019) in the Czech Republic. Near the conclusion of 2019, Tim returned to Waikato and joined as a Senior Lecturer in Process Engineering and faculty member of the School of Engineering.
Tim received the 2016 International Young Chemical Engineer in Research Award by IChemE (UK) and has co-chaired and organised five international conferences on Process Integration, and edited more than seven special issues and volumes of high-ranking international journals.
In the School of Engineering, Tim contributes as a key researcher in the Sustainable Energy, Water and Resilient Systems research group, convenes and teaches in several general and discipline-specific engineering papers (see list below), and co-convenes the Diploma of Engineering Professional Practice (DipEPP) - a parallel program that top B.E.(Hons) students are invited into and that equips graduates with enhanced business management expertise and skills.
- Florian Schlosser (PhD, 2020), Heat pumping for industry, Kassel University, Germany (International supervisor; In progress).
- Nathan S. Lal (PhD, 2020), Automated Retrofit of Heat Exchanger Networks, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Waiting for examination).
- Benjamin Ong (PhD, 2019), A Kraft Mill-Integrated Biorefinery Design for New Zealand, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
- Amir Tarighaleslami (PhD, 2018), Unified Total Site Heat Integration: Targeting, Optimisation and Network Design, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
- Aoran Han (MEngPrac, 2020) - The development of high-temperature heat pump system in milk spray dryer system, University of Waikato (Chief Supervisor; Passed).
- Wynn Phyuphyu (ME, 2016), Energy Return on Investment for Hydro Power in Myanmar, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
- Akash Lokhande (ME, 2015), Vacuum Steam Desuperheating and Condensation: An Experimental Investigation, University of Waikato (Co-supervisor; Passed).
Tim's research focuses on designing sustainable energy systems – unit operations, processes, industrial sites, regions and global – by applying novel process modelling, integration, and optimisation methods. His research applications centre on four areas:
- Digital Twin with process integration, evolution and optimisation: the development of novel algorithms, methods and superstructures, captured in software, to automatically solve highly combinatoric, dynamic and non-linear industrial process synthesis and retrofit problems involving heat, power, water, and other utilities.
- Industrial process electrification: the electrification of industrial processes through novel multistage and high temperature heat pump technology. The redesign of processes to efficiently switch to electricity use in place of process heat.
- Sustainable and circular economy: the optimisation of material and energy flows within a Circular Economy context to maximise total sustainability considering the trade-off between multiple cost and footprint dimensions (GHG, energy, water, land, etc.).
- Integrated biorefineries: the transformation of Kraft pulp mills into biorefineries, powered by geothermal heat, to produce liquid fuels suitable for the transportation sector.
Klemeš, J. J., Wang, Q. W., Varbanov, P. S., Zeng, M., Chin, H. H., Lal, N. S., . . . Walmsley, T. G. (2020). Heat transfer enhancement, intensification and optimisation in heat exchanger network retrofit and operation. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 120. doi:10.1016/j.rser.2019.109644
Fan, Y. V., Klemeš, J. J., Walmsley, T. G., & Bertók, B. (2020). Implementing Circular Economy in municipal solid waste treatment system using P-graph. Science of the Total Environment, 701. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.134652
Gai, L., Varbanov, P. S., Walmsley, T. G., & Klemeš, J. J. (2020). Critical analysis of process integration options for joule-cycle and conventional heat pumps. Energies, 13(3). doi:10.3390/en13030635
Ong, B. H. Y., Walmsley, T. G., Atkins, M. J., Varbanov, P. S., & Walmsley, M. R. W. (2019). A heat- and mass-integrated design of hydrothermal liquefaction process co-located with a Kraft pulp mill. Energy, 189. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2019.116235
Find more research publications by Tim Walmsley
Computing; Energy; Engineering; Environmental Impacts; Fluid Mechanics; Materials and Processing; Sustainability; Technology
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 838 4619