Dr Tom Ryan
Graduate Advisor, Senior Lecturer, University Council Member
Qualifications: MA(Hons) PhD Auckland DEA EHESS Paris
- Helped establish three successful Academic Programmes: Anthropology, Labour Studies, Pacific Studies.
- Served in a range of School-level leadership roles: Centre Director, Programme Convenor, Department Head.
- Member of key University committees: Academic Board, Academic Promotions, Finance, University Council.
Anne Eddy, Te Hemara Tauhia and Martin Krippner: Cross-Cultural Biographies. [chief].
Mandy Shaver, Art and the Aesthetic at a Tattoo Studio in Hamilton, New Zealand. [chief].
Isa Ritchie, Free Lunch: Food Sovereignty in Whaingaroa/Raglan.
Estelle Townsend, Brand Qatar: Competing Interests in Qatari Foreign Policy.
Elizabeth Pascal, Pots and People in Espiritu Santo: Traditional Pottery-Making in Vanuatu. [chief].
Saburo Omura, The Treaty of Waitangi and Asian Immigrants in Aotearoa. 2014.
Vince Malcolm-Buchanan, A Genealogical Ethnography of Tangihanga: Our Taonga, Our Stories. 2014.
Caroline Thomas, The Sorcerer's Apprentice: A Life of Reo Franklin Fortune, Anthropologist. 2010. [chief].
Des Tatana Kahotea, Rebel Discourses: Colonial Violence, Pai Marire Resistance, and Land. 2005. [chief].
Susan Sayer, The Postcolonial Lesbian Text: Readings of Four Novels by Renee. 1998. [chief].
Current Research Projects
- Imaginaries of New Zealand Nationhood. The working title for a book applying anthropological analysis to large-scale multi-cultural society; to be submitted to an academic publisher in late 2016.
- 'Manners and Customs of the First "Australians": The Fantastic Anthropology of Gabriel de Foigny, 1676'. Invited seminar to be given at Université d'Aix-Marseilles, Jan 2016, then submitted to an academic journal.
Ryan, T. (2017). Ngā Haki: Flags and flagpoles as symbols of mana Māori. In 11th Conference of the European Society for Oceanists (ESFO). Conference held in Munich, Germany.
Ryan, T. (2017). How the Tiki torch was co-opted by white supremacists'. Retrieved from https://www.trtworld.com/
Ryan, T. F. (2017). Hiapo: A Genealogy of Barkcloth on Niue. In Tapa: de 'l'Encorce a l'Etoffe, Art Millenaire de l'Oceanie: From Tree Bark to Cloth: An Ancient Art of Oceania. (pp. 236-245). Paris, France: Somogy Editions d'Art.
Ryan, T. F. (2017). Coveting and despising: 'South of Asia' versus 'Many Islands': Australia and New Zealands' contrasting cultures of colonisalism. In S. A. Wardi, J. -M. Regnault, & J. -F. Sabouret (Eds.), L'océanie convoitée: Actes des colloques (French Edition) (pp. 26-27). 'Api Tahiti, Papeete.
Find more research publications by Tom Ryan
Historical anthropology; cultural studies; mining and indigenous peoples; mythologies; work; Niue; Pacific Islands; Australia.