Te Āhurutanga Māori Student Leadership Programme
This programme allows students to gain learning and understanding beyond the classroom environment. It provides:
- a space to foster relationships;
- opportunities for professional development;
- community engagement; and
- help to explore the complexities of being a young Māori in te ao hurihuri, this ever-changing world.
Photo of our 2017 intake at the final event for the year.
To enable Māori students at the University of Waikato, to become global citizens, leaders and role models in te ao Māori, te ao mātauranga and te ao whānui.
- Tikanga/te reo Māori: Upholding and celebrating our culture through the use of te reo Māori me ōna tikanga.
- Taumata: Encouraging high achievement and excellence that breeds success in all areas.
- Tuakana-teina: Providing an open and positive environment where knowledge and understanding can be exchanged between new participants, Alumni and previous programme participants.
- Whanaungatanga: Providing opportunities to connect and engage with others.
- Whanaketanga: Navigating future pathways that can contribute to the advancement of Māori individuals and communities.
- Rangatiratanga: Building the confidence and capability of participants.
The Te Āhurutanga Māori Student Leadership Programme will give you the opportunity to create and design a project initiative that will impact the community you are passionate about. No idea is too big or too small.
It will focus on four key areas of learning:
- Ngā pūkenga – Capability building
- Ngā taonga tuku iho – Cultural empowerment
- Ngā hapori whānui – Community engagement
- Ngā hononga – Strengthening connections
Ngā Pūkenga – Capability building
Participants will engage in self-reflection and goal setting activities to evaluate their current capabilities and future direction. They will be asked to consider questions like:
- Where am I now?
- Where do I want to be in 1, 2, 5 or 10 years’ time?
- How am I going to get there? How am I actually going to get there?
Participants will be expected to engage in activities and understand how the lessons being taught can be beneficial to their personal development. Participants should be well prepared for real-world challenges and opportunities.
Ngā taonga tuku iho – Cultural empowerment
Participants will be involved in cultural activities that empower them to participate confidently in te ao Māori. It is anticipated that participants will have different levels of confidence in these areas, so there is no requirement to be proficient in te reo Māori me ōna tikanga. However, it is expected that participants will proactively engage in activities to enhance their cultural knowledge. Care will be taken to ensure that all cultural activities occur in a positive, nurturing and supportive environment.
Ngā hapori whānui – Community engagement
Engagement activities will occur between participants, organisations and communities, emphasising the values of reciprocity and knowledge sharing. Participants will be supported and encouraged to engage in community-level projects, preferably with whānau, hapū and iwi, to understand how their skills and knowledge can be beneficial to te ao Māori.
Ngā hononga – Strengthening connections
Participants will experience activities and opportunities to network and mix with a wide range of people in different environments. This is intended to expand participants’ comfort zones and enable them to engage confidently in any situation.
- Demonstrate basic attributes and understanding of Māori cultural practices and protocols (i.e., tikanga, kawa, relationships and the interconnectedness of iwi, hapū & whānau)
- Demonstrate awareness of Māori perspectives and values on a topical issue
- Investigate leadership practices
- Identify resources in order to be an effective leader
- Use an activity assessment to demonstrate leadership skills such as integrity, communication, vision, resilience, and confidence in the community
For any further questions please email [email protected]or contact the Programme Coordinator, Tuatahi Nightingale-Pene on 07 837 9714.