Connor Johnston : Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS)
Connor Johnston, living in Hamilton, is a talented basketball player who is currently in his second (of a four year degree) year of studies at the University of Waikato in 2016. He will work towards a Bachelor of Management Studies, with a conjoint major in both Finance and Economics and specialising in German language. Success keeps Connor motivated and he constantly strives to be the best in his sport. In 2014 he was MVP and captain of Tauranga Boys’ College’s basketball team and MVP in the Secondary School League. In 2013 he was a member of the under-16 New Zealand basketball squad and the national under-17 representatives’ tournament team. In 2015 he was named in the tournament team at the U19 nationals (ranking him in the top ten in the country for his age in basktball). Following up from this sporting success, Connor was accepted into the Golden Key honour society (which ranks Connor, based soley on academia, within the top 15% of the university). In addition to this, he finished first place in German. He has now taken over class rep for German at the University of Waikato. He also recently finished first place (unbeaten) in 3 on 3 regionals and third place (losing to the champions in the semi final) in the World Qualifyers. Connor also place Second in the final or the university 3 on 3 tournament.
- Easter Tournement 1st Place - 05/04/2015
The U19 Waikato Representive Basketall Team and I placed 1st at the easter tournament. This tournament has partticipants from all over the north island including: New Plymouth and Central Country. We were unbeaten and beat -accross the ditch rivals- Rotorua by 20 points in the grand final.
- U19 National Tournament Team - 18/07/2015
- I was selected in the Tournament Team at the U19 Representative Nationals, ranking me around the best ten players for my age in the country.
- Golden Key Honour Society - 09/03/2016
- This is an international honour society, who have recognised me for my high academic achievements. This is an American based society; which, ranks me in the top 15%, academically speaking, within the University.
- World Qualifier Tournement - 10/03/2016
- By coming in first place at the regional 3 on 3 tournament, it qualified my 3 on 3 team for the worlds. If we go on to win this match, we get a fully paid trip to China to represent our country in basketball. Within the final seconds of the regional final I hit the game tying and then the game winning shots.
- Class rep for German - 02/03/2016
- Starting 5 for U23 Waikato Men - 29/09/2016
- Male player of the year - 29/09/2016
I received male player of the year for basketball out of the entire university (competing against around five mens teams).
- Starting 5 U23 Waikato mens team - 09/08/2017