Dr Ian Bruce
Senior Lecturer - Convenor Applied Linguistics and ESLA Programmes
Qualifications: B.A.Cant; M.A.(Applied), Ph.D. Waikato; Dip.SLT Massey; Dip.T Christchurch; KDS Munich; CTEFLA RSA/Cambridge
Linguistics; Teaching English as a second language/English as an additional language
Discourse analysis and in particular text and genre studies; academic writing and curriculum design; English for Academic Purposes (EAP); teacher training and pedagogy.
My area of research interest is the application of genre theory to investigations of non-fictional texts and their related discourses. I have undertaken studies of academic, business and journalistic genres. My research of academic genres has the purpose of informing language curriculum development and the teaching of academic writing, and specifically research writing, to students for whom English is an additional language.The theoretical basis that I propose for analysing and teaching academic genres are outlined in my book publications (2008 & 2011) and the related research studies - books at Ian Bruce, Amazon author page and citations here.
- Lee, Yee (Jocelyn) (2015) Analytical reading skills to engage and motivate ESL learners: A challenge to current pedagogical practices.
- Fester, Anthea (2015) Changing perspectives on syllabus design in ELT: Textbook trends and tertiary teacher decision-making.
- Ng, Miang Koon (2015) Teachers and students beliefs about the value of giving corrective feedback on academic writing: A case study from a Malaysian university.
- Jeong, Hyeseung (2014). Understanding second language acquisition in relation to intentionality, epistemology and cognitive process in an academic context: A realist perspective.
- Li, Shouji (2012) Different or similar: patterns of lexical cohesion in English and Chinese non-narrative text and their applications in the study of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language ? A corpus-based contrastive study.
- Ryan, Jonathon (2012) The development of pragmatic competence in reference in English as a second language
- Barbour, Julie (2008) A Grammar of the Neverver Language of Malakula (Vanuatu).
- Her, Jia-Huey (2007)The globalization of English : Its impact on English language education in the tertiary education sector in Taiwan.
- Januin, Junaidah (in progress) Investigating discourse competence in a blended learning delivery of academic reading and writing instruction: A case study among students for whom English is a second language (ESL) at a Malaysian university.
Bruce, I. (2016). Constructing critical stance in University essays in English literature and sociology. English for Specific Purposes, 42, 13-25. doi:10.1016/j.esp.2015.10.005
Bruce, I. (2015). Resisting neoliberalism through political and social critique: The Guardian column of Polly Toynbee. Discourse, Context & Media, 10, 45-52. doi:10.1016/j.dcm.2015.09.001
Bruce, I. (2015). Use of cognitive genres as textual norms in academic English prose: University essays in English literature and sociology. Bulletin Suisse de Linguistique Appliquée / Swiss Journal of Applied Linguistics, 2(Special Issue, Summer 2015), 161-175.
Bruce, I. (2014). Expressing criticality in the literature review in research article introductions in applied linguistics and psychology. English for Specific Purposes, 36, 85-96. doi:10.1016/j.esp.2014.06.004
View all research publications by Ian Bruce
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Bruce, Dr Ian||9338||ibruce||I.3.09||Linguistics/Applied Linguistics/ESLA|