Dr Johanna Schmidt
Senior lecturer; Convener of Sociology & Social Policy
Qualifications: PhD Auckland
Gender; Social Policy; Sociology; Women and Gender Studies
Transgender, with a Pacific focus; parenting and family studies; gender and sexuality; qualitative research methods.
Schmidt, J. (2010). Migrating genders: Westernisation, migration, and Samoan fa'afafine. Surrey, United Kingdom: Ashgate.
Schmidt, J. (2012). Gender diversity. In Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand (pp. 1-7). http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/gender-diversity: Ministry for Culture and Heritage, Wellington. Retrieved from http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/gender-diversity
Schmidt, J. (2017). The regulation of sex work in Aotearoa/New Zealand: An overview. Women's Studies Journal, 31(2), 35-49. Retrieved from http://wsanz.org.nz/journal/docs/WSJNZ312Schmidt35-49.pdf
Schmidt, J. M. (2017). Translating transgender: Using Western discourses to understand Samoan fa'afāfine. Sociology Compass, 11(5), 1-17. doi:10.1111/soc4.12485
Reese, E., Keegan, P., McNaughton, S., Kingi, T., Atatoa Carr, P., Schmidt, J., . . . Morton, S. (2017). Te Reo Māori: indigenous language acquisition in the context of New Zealand English. Journal of Child Language, 1-28. doi:10.1017/S0305000917000241
Schmidt, J. (2017). Homosexuality in Aotearoa New Zealand: Regulation and resistance. In A. Bell, V. Elizabeth, T. McIntosh, & M. Wynyard (Eds.), A Land of Milk and Honey? Making Sense of Aotearoa New Zealand (pp. 186-197). Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland University Press.
- Juliana Brown (with Psychology), 'Ally training programme & network: Creating a space of inclusion and support for takatapui and LGBTIQ+ staff and students at the University of Waikato'.
- Fungai Mhalanga, 'Digging through community gardens: An investigation of the social benefits of community gardens'.
- Kar Tou Tan (with Psychology) 'New Zealand Transgender Health Survey with a mental health focus'.
- Lynley Uerata, 'Flourishing in precarity: Four cases of Maaori households in Hamilton, New Zealand'.
- Juliana Brown (with Psychology), '"We're like the sex CPR dummies": Negotiating (heteros)ex in a university residential setting'. Completed 2016.
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: ext 9365