Dr Valmaine Toki
Associate Professor in Law
Qualifications: BA LLB (Hons) MBA LLM PhD
Iwi: Ngati Wai, Ngapuhi, Ngati Whatua
Dr Valmaine Toki is an Associate Professor of Law, Faculty Chair and Director of the Maori and Indigenous Governance Centre at Te Piringa, Faculty of Law, University of Waikato. Valmaine, is of Ngapuhi Ngati Wai Ngat Whatua descent, and the first Maori and first New Zealander appointed as an Expert Member on the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues. Before joining Te Piringa, Valmaine taught at the Faculty of Law, University of Auckland. As a He Ture Pumau scholar Valmaine previously worked for Te Ohu Kai Moana Trustee Ltd on Māori fisheries, aquaculture and asset allocation. During this time Valmaine completed an MBA from the Australian Maritime College at the University of Tasmania. Valmaine is a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand and has assisted in cases to the Māori Land Court, the Environment Court, and the High Court.
Her 2018 book entitled "Indigenous courts, self determination and criminal justice" and focuses on her recent research within the area of recognition and implementation of Indigenous rights.
Papers I Teach
- Human and Indigenous Rights
- Therapeutic Jurisprudence
- Resource Management
Valmaine has recently undertaken research into therapeutic jurisprudence as a vehicle to implement indigenous legal systems/tikanga Māori to reduce the disproportionate number of Māori criminal offenders. This envisages a specialist indigenous court that embraces Māori customs, ethics, values, and norms.
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Toki, AProf Valmaine||8976||valmaine||N.5.09||Law, Faculty of|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room