Our name: Te Piringa
Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu
(23 July 1931 - 15 August 2006)
Te Piringa translates as the coming together of people. It was given to the Law Faculty by the late Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu, the Maori Queen, when the Faculty buildings were opened by Tainui tohunga using Maori ceremonial karakia in 1990.
Te Arikinui also gifted the Tongi of her ancestor King Pōtatau the first Maori King and Te Rākau Kotahi the paepae from the ancestral house at Waahi Pa.
The name Te Piringa links the Faculty to the manawhenua of Waikato-Tainui and the Kāhui Ariki. The tongi or saying left by King Pōtatau predicted the need to know more of the Law to benefit the people. It has been used as a basis for a traditional waiata for the Faculty. The Te Rākau Kotahi (or the one tree of knowledge) is considered a personal and special gift given by a chiefly person to support an honourable cause, our duty is to honour the donor.