The Library has three basic types of membership - Staff and Student, Associate and Alumni. If you are looking for information about what can be borrowed please see our Borrowing FAQs.
Staff & Student Membership
Permanent and fixed-term staff of the University, and students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate papers automatically get full membership of the University Library. Full membership provides:
- Access to Library e-resources including ejournals and databases
- Ability to borrow Library materials - different loan periods and limits apply for Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students and Staff)
- Access to the Library's interlibrary loan and document delivery services
- Use of Library computers
- Ability to book group rooms and equipment
Associate membership is available to members of partner organisations under specified programmes or reciprocal agreements. Enquiries about Associate Membership can be made at the Library Service Desk in the Student Centre Mondays to Fridays between 9am and 5pm.
Those eligible for an Associate Membership include the following:
- Honorary Doctorates and Fellows of this University
- University of Waikato Medal holders
- University of Waikato Emeritus Professors
- Retired staff of this University
- Members of the University Council
- Staff and students of other New Zealand universities that are parties to the University Library Aotearoa New Zealand (ULANZ) scheme.
- Wintec staff and students under the University of Waikato and Wintec Reciprocal Agreement
- Bay of Plenty Polytechnic staff and students under the University of Waikato and Bay of Plenty Polytechnic Reciprocal Agreement
- Some Waikato District Health Board staff (more information for WDHB staff is available from their Library)
- Graduates of a University who pay a joining fee (currently $100 per annum)
- Permanent staff of businesses that reside on the University of Waikato Hamilton Campus
- Landcare Research Hamilton staff
- NIWA Hamilton staff
- AgResearch Ruakura staff
Arrangements can be made for Year 13 students from schools throughout the Waikato region who are in extension programmes to have temporary access to the University Library. Such arrangements are made with the school, not with individual students. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this.
To find out more about services and resources that are available to associate members, see Associate Membership FAQ.
Alumni of the University of Waikato may join the Library at a cost of $100 per year. Alumni members can borrow most materials from the Library. They also have access to the Library's electronic resources, but not interlibrary loan services. See Alumni Library Services for details.
Enquiries about Library membership should be directed to the Library Service Desks on Level 2 of the Student Centre or to the Lending Desk in the Teaching Resources Library. More information for our Alumni is available at University of Waikato Alumni.
Public Access to the Library
Members of the public are welcome to visit the Library and browse our collections, however, books and other materials are available for consultation within the Library only. A coin-operated photocopier is available on Level 2 of the Student Centre.
There is a small selection of databases which can be used in the Central Library by members of the public - for more information ask at one of our Service Desks.