Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Responsibility for policy: Director of Human Resource Management
Approving authority: Vice-Chancellor
Last reviewed: May 2017
Next review date: May 2022
- This policy applies to all staff of the University of Waikato.
- The purpose of this policy is to outline the University's commitment to equal employment opportunity, diversity and inclusion.
- The following documents set out further information relevant to this policy:
- The University is committed to:
- providing equality of opportunity in employment irrespective of a person's sex, gender, marital status, religious belief, ethical belief, colour, race, ethnic or national origins, disability, age, political opinion, employment status, family status or sexual orientation
- identifying and eliminating any institutional barriers that cause or perpetuate, or tend to cause or perpetuate, inequality in respect of the employment of any person or group of persons
- ensuring that all its policies and practices uphold the principle of equal employment opportunity
- ensuring that all staff appointments are made solely on the basis of merit, and that all promotions, advancements, salary reviews and professional/career development opportunities are based solely on merit
- improving employment opportunities for groups who are traditionally under-represented in either occupational groups or levels of seniority, in particular women, Māori and Pacific people.
- Line managers are responsible for ensuring that all practices and procedures that apply to the staff for whom they are responsible are consistent with this policy.
- The Director of Human Resource Management is responsible for the development and implementation of a Diversity and Inclusion Programme 2016-2018 that upholds the above principles and includes associated monitoring and reporting.
Responsibility for monitoring compliance
- The Director of Human Resource Management is responsible for monitoring compliance with this policy and reporting any breaches to the Vice-Chancellor.
- Breaches of this policy may result in disciplinary action under the Staff Code of Conduct.