"Kei hopu tō ringa ki te aka tāepa, engari kia mau ki te aka matua."
This kōrero is taken from Te Marautanga o Aotearoa (Pāngarau), and tells of time when Tawhaki ascended to fetch the 3 baskets of knowledge. The essence of this whakatauākī reminds us to stay focused on the parent vine and not to be distracted by other vines. This kōrero is relevant to our role as facilitators in Te Whai Toi Tangata, as our work in Pāngarau is deliberately organised to focus on what matters.
Te Whai Toi Tangata (IPL) have an experienced team of Pāngarau facilitators who are familiar with research and effective practice, and who can work in both Māori medium and dual medium settings. Our work is informed by Te Marautanga o Aotearoa, Best Evidence Synthesis, Kaupapa Māori theory, Tau Mai te Reo and Tū Rangatira.
We have bases in Waikato, Tauranga , Rotorua, and Napier and move around these regions to:
- With schools in-depth or on a flexible response basis
- provide coaching and mentoring
- Work with kura and whānau
- Deliver one-off or a series of workshops (staff meetings or teacher only days) for a school or cluster of schools.
Our team also delivers support in te reo Māori and have formed strong relationships with other PLD providers in Māori medium. We work collaboratively with Pāngarau researchers and with other facilitators who have specialist knowledge in areas such as ihumanea (gifted and talented), and Learning with Digital Technologies.
Any professional learning and development undertaken within your kura or hāpori (community) will be tailored specifically to meet your needs. We currently facilitate Pāngarau courses and workshops for:
- provisionally Registered Teachers, kaiāwhina, and specific year levels eg New Entrants, years 7-10
- support schools with assessment tools, for example Uiui & GloSS, and effective pedagogy
- support kaiako with content knowledge.
For information around Pāngarau support and workshops please email us on māorimedium@waikato.ac.nz.