Human Research Ethics Committee
(An Advisory Committee to the Vice-Chancellor)
The Human Research Ethics Committee is responsible to the Academic Board for the promotion, review and monitoring of ethical practice in human research carried out by staff or students of the University and for monitoring compliance with the University's Human Research Ethics Regulations.
Those intending to conduct human research should, in the first instance, assess the ethical status of their projects by discussion with colleagues (or if a student, with their supervisor) and with reference to any appropriate professional ethical codes. Every proposal for human research to be carried out by staff or students of the University must be referred to the relevant School or Departmental committee (or, where none exists, to the University Human Research Ethics Committee) which must satisfy itself that the research project:
- will comply with the current professional standards pertaining to the discipline or paradigm within which the research is to be conducted
- is in accordance with University policies and principles of human research.
University Regulations and Guidelines
- Appendix 1: Guidelines for Professional Practice and Community Contact in the Conduct of University Research or Related Activities
- Appendix 2: University Delegated Ethics Committees
- Appendix 3: Generic Application Format
- Appendix 4: Intellectual Property in Research
- Appendix 5: Guidelines for Observation and Research in Schools and Early Childhood Services (under review)
- Appendix 6: Referring Human Ethics Applications to a Health and Disability Committee (under review)
Delegated Ethics Committees
The University of Waikato Human Research Ethics Committee has authorized the below delegated Human Research Ethics Committees to undertake, prior to the commencement of the research or related activities, the review of low risk proposals involving human participants. The review is to ensure that the proposals comply with the principles and policies adopted by the Academic Board and are defensible in terms of current debate within the relevant discipline or paradigms.
Delegated Ethics Committees
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences
- School of Education
- School of Law
- School of Maori and Pacific Development
- School of Science and Engineering
- Waikato Management School
Human Research Ethics Committee (Health)
The University of Waikato Human Research Ethics Committee has NZ Health Research Council Ethics Committee (HDEC) approval to review health and disability research applications.
In the first instance all applications are forwarded to the Faculty / School of Studies / or department committee. Students are encouraged to seek guidance from their supervisors.
Here is a simplified flow chart of the University of Waikato health and disability research review process
Here is a link to a flow diagram which can help you determine the types of research we are able to review, and research which must still be sent to HDEC for consideration e.g. intervention studies, human reproductive research
Here is a link to HDEC Standard Operating Procedures for Health and Disability Ethics Committees referenced in the above flow diagram. (Note: pp. 10-13 explain the differences between observational and intervention studies)
Specific expertise and experience of the 2016 Committee is available here
University Human Research Ethics Committee 2016 Members
N.B. 2017 membership is still being finalised
- Chairperson appointed by the Academic Board: Dr Rosemary De Luca
- One academic staff member appointed annually by each Board of Studies on the nomination of the relevant Dean:
Arts and Social Sciences Dr Julie Barbour Computing and Mathematical Sciences Prof Mark Apperley Education Dr Carl Mika Law Valmaine Toki Management Dr Mary Simpson Māori and Pacific Development Dr Sophie Nock Science and Engineering Dr Linda Peters
- One person, not a University of Waikato staff member, appointed by the Vice Chancellor: Dr Brian Linehan
- One Postgraduate student appointed annually by the Vice Chancellor: Stephen Cantwell
- Secretary: email@example.com