The University of Waikato - Te Whare Wānanga o Waikato
Student & Academic Services Division
Wāhanga Ratonga Mātauranga Ākonga
Waikato Home Waikato Home > SASD
Staff + Student Login

How to raise an issue with us

Dealing with the administrative requirements of the University can be complex and confusing. Student and Academic Services Division staff are here to help you when you have difficulties with processes or procedures. If we don't deliver the standard of service we promise, or if we make a mistake, please let us know so that we can investigate and set about putting things right as quickly as possible. Complaints are a good way for us to reassess or improve our services and to help us avoid making similar mistakes in the future. And if you want to tell us when we "got it right", it's a great encouragement for staff when their efforts are recognised.

We hope that you'll never need to progress beyond the first step but we want to give you every opportunity to present your case if you are still dissatisfied.

Step One

If you have a comment or complaint about our services, raise it with the staff member you're talking to. If you prefer, telephone us on 0800 WAIKATO, and give us details of the problem. Where possible, we'll try to give you an answer right then and there. If not, we'll take full details from you and arrange for the problem to be investigated. We'll respond to you promptly. If we can't give you a full response at this stage, we'll contact you and advise you how long our investigations are likely to take.

Step Two

Speak or write to the senior manager of the area in which you're having difficulty. You can find out who this is from the reception counter staff at the Gateway or from the online staff directory. We'll acknowledge your letter promptly and additional investigations into your complaint will be arranged.

Step Three

If you have a problem which is still unresolved after speaking to a member of staff, you should speak or write to:

The Director
Student and Academic Services Division
University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105
Hamilton 3240

Your letter will be acknowledged within two business days of our receiving it, and additional investigations into your complaint will be arranged.

Step Four

If you're still not satisfied with our response, you should take your complaint to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor.

For more information on making a complaint, see the Student Complaints Procedures.