Arriving in New Zealand
If you have arranged to be collected by the University, a shuttle driver will be waiting to meet you. Look for a driver holding a sign with your name on it at the arrivals area of the airport. They will deliver you to the accommodation you listed on your arrival form. You will also receive a Welcome Pack from the University full of information which will help you with your enrolment process and help you in settling into life in New Zealand.
Arriving on Campus
When you arrive on campus, our friendly staff will be here to welcome you and guide you through the steps of getting started at the University. Your first step will be to enrol.
How to enrol
Find out how to complete your enrolment on campus.
Your first few days in New Zealand
We understand that arriving to live and study in a new country can be overwhelming. So we've put together some information below that might help you in your first few days in Hamilton.
Various food outlets operate on campus between Monday to Friday 7.30am – 4pm including:
- Cooked to order meals
- pre-prepared café food (sandwiches, coffee, and cakes)
- Indonesian food
- Silverdale Road – Subway, Dumpling King, Corner Store (Dairy), Fish and Chips, and Chinese Takeaways
- Knighton Road – Fish and Chips and Chinese Takeaways, Corner Store (Dairy)
- Clyde Street The Warehouse complex – Asian food market and fruit and vege shop, Hell Pizza
- Hamilton East – Cafés and restaurants from Indian, Chinese, Turkish, European cuisine and McDonalds and KFC (accessible by bus)
- Cambridge Road New World complex – Burger King, sushi, fish and chips, Domino's Pizza, corner store (Dairy)
Supermarkets (grocery stores)
- Four Square – Silverdale Road. 1km from campus
- Four Square – Clyde Street. 300m from campus
- New World – Cambridge Road. 2.4km from campus
- Countdown – Peachgrove Road. 2.4km from campus (delivery to your flat countdown.co.nz
If you are staying in the Halls of Residence on campus, speak with your RA to find out about how you can be included in the weekly supermarket trip.
Banks and Money
A cash machine is located on campus at our village green (lake) area.
- ANZ Bank
- ASB Bank
- Westpac (Cambridge Road, Hillcrest)
- BNZ (Hamilton East)
A note that AMEX cards are not generally accepted in New Zealand for daily purchases like groceries – we recommend setting up an alternative bank card in New Zealand for day-to-day purchases.
Buses operate to and from the bus-stop outside the university campus shops. Buses also run from Knighton Road, Hillcrest Road and Silverdale road. For more information visit busit.co.nz.
International Student Services Office
Phone: + 64 7 856 2889