The Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies (PGDip(MgtSt)) is designed to equip you with the comprehensive skills and knowledge required for general management, and take your career to the next level.
It's delivered in an interactive learning environment that draws on participants’ own business experience, and allows you to directly apply new ideas and business theories to a variety of workplace situations.
This part-time programme (for 1 or 2 years of study) is ideal for:
- Middle managers looking to step into higher-level leadership roles, who have at least three years’ relevant management experience
- Functional, technical or professional specialists moving into positions that require broader management knowledge and expertise
- Business owners and entrepreneurs looking to add best practice management, knowledge and leadership skills to their practical expertise.
You'll gain expertise in all aspects of management, giving you a holistic view of organisations. Topics covered include business strategy, marketing, logistics and global business, organisational behaviour, leading high-performance teams, investment decision-making, financial analysis and accounting, human resources, commercial law, and negotiation, crisis management, and change management.
Enjoy the freedom to study part-time while you work, with classes offered in Hamilton or Tauranga. Classes start in February or March, depending on which option you choose:
- Hamilton (one year, starting on 10 Feb 2017): every Monday and Thursday 6pm - 9pm
- Hamilton (one year, alternate weekends starting on 17 March): Friday 2pm - 6pm and Saturday 8am - 4.30pm
- Hamilton (two years, starting on 10 Feb 2017): every Monday 6pm - 9pm
- Tauranga (two years, starting on 24 Feb 2017): alternate Saturdays, 8.30am - 5pm
Note: This programme is taught part-time, so is NOT open to international students unless they are permanent residents of New Zealand. However, you may be interested in applying for the Master of Business and Management degree instead. This is a one-year, full-time business masters open to graduates from any subject discipline.
Stepping stone to the Waikato MBA
As well as being a valuable programme in its own right, those who complete the PGDipMgtSt programme with a B+ grade point average have the option to transition to the Waikato Master of Business Administration; a higher-level qualification.
Waikato has an international reputation
Study for the Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies at Waikato Management School, an internationally recognised Triple Crown business school accredited by EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB since 2005. This is a global benchmark of excellence in teaching and research, achieved by less than 1% of business schools worldwide.
You'll be taught by top lecturers with international teaching experience. They are also sought-after business consultants and active researchers, with links to some of the world's leading companies.
|Study Locations||Hamilton; Tauranga|
|Faculty||Waikato Management School|
|Years||1 or 2|
|Start Dates||DM Semester (Monday night stream), E Semester (Weekend stream) or H Semester (Tauranga stream)|
|Domestic Fees||$16,340.00 per programme|
|International Fees||Not available for international students per year|
|Tuition fees shown above are indicative only and may change. There are additional fees and charges related to enrolment - please see the Table of Fees and Charges for more information. You will be sent an enrolment agreement which will confirm your fees.|
Scholarships and prizes
Visit our Scholarship Finder for information about possible scholarships
Learning is through practical coursework, case studies and class discussion. For the integrative case study, you'll work in teams to develop a strategy for a real organisation.
Admission and enrolment
You can apply for the PGDip(MgtSt) if you have:
- A bachelor's degree, or equivalent*
- At least three years’ relevant management experience – this could include people, project or functional management experience.
*This requirement may be waived if an applicant can demonstrate substantial management experience and evidence of relevant tertiary study.
You may be required to attend an interview before being admitted to this programme.
We will ask you to provide the following:
- A CV that outlines your employment history, including previous job titles, responsibilities and duration of contract. Please include name and contact details of your direct manager in your last two or three positions (where applicable). We may wish to contact them for verification.
- Three written referees’ recommendations (employer and character).
EXED501 High Performance Teams
EXED502 Practice of Strategy
EXED503 Managerial Economics and the Global Business Environment
EXED504 Organisational Behaviour
EXED505 Strategic Human resource Practice
EXED506 Commercial and Employment Law
EXED507 Logistics and Operational Management
EXED508 Marketing Practice
EXED509 Financial and Management Accounting
EXED510 Financial Markets and Investment Decision Making
EXED511 Integrative Case Study
Personal leadership development
Professional development is an important theme of the Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies. We give our students the opportunity to grow not only as managers but to develop as leaders too.
You'll be asked to nominate a mentor for the duration of the programme, who will act in a support role. He or she can be a senior manager in your own workplace, or someone in another organisation.
You'll gain a deeper understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses as a leader through a tailored programme of personal development. This will include evaluations related to emotional intelligence, personality type, team roles and 360-degree feedback.
Complementing this will be a one-on-one leadership clinic to discuss your individual development needs and prepare an action plan.
Waikato Management School Executive Education
High Performance Teams
Logistics & Operations Management
Practice of Strategy
Managerial Economics & the Global Business Environment
Financial & Managerial Accounting
Financial Markets & Investment Decision Making
Strategic Human Resource Practice
Integrative Case Study
Commercial & Employment Law
Note: The PGDipMgt can be completed in Hamilton (evenings or weekends) over one or two years, or in Tauranga (alternate Saturdays) over two years.
Depending on your choice of study location, the paper codes may differ slightly from those shown here.
PGDipMgtSt programme requirements:
To complete this programme, you must:
- Pass all of the required papers for this programme; 120 points at 500-level
- Complete any Assurance of Learning requirements