This one-year masters degree provides a truly transformative business education that will take your career to new heights.
The MBM will give you a comprehensive understanding of the fast-paced global business environment, and prepare you to take on a wide range of management and leadership roles.
It's designed for graduates of any bachelor's degree – from arts and engineering to teaching and social sciences – who wish to expand their career prospects and increase their earning potential. Previous business experience is not required.
Over 12 months, you'll hone your skills in all aspects of business, such as planning for strategic growth, marketing, digital business, economics and financial analysis, human resources, supply chain, and holistic problem-solving.
You'll also develop strong communication and creative problem solving skills; the ability to undertake business research, question ideas and findings, and gain the confidence to lead teams and manage organisational change.
Waikato has an international reputation
Study this degree at Waikato Management School, a Triple Crown international business school accredited by EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB since 2005. This is a global benchmark of excellence in teaching and research, achieved by less than 1% of the world's business schools.
You can start the MBM programme in either March or November.
|Faculty||Waikato Management School|
|Start Dates||D Semester (March) and E Semester (November)|
|Domestic Fees||$13,658 per programme - March and Nov 2017 intakes|
|International Fees||$34,990 per programme - March and Nov 2017 intakes|
|Tuition fees shown above are indicative only and may change. There are additional fees and charges related to enrolment - please see the Table of Fees and Charges for more information. You will be sent an enrolment agreement which will confirm your fees.|
Scholarships and prizes
Visit our Scholarship Finder for information about possible scholarships
Graduate study options
On completing the MBM, you have the option to transfer into the MBM Specialist programme and do further study in a specific field of management that you're passionate about.
Choose one of the specialisations below:
- International Management
- Public Relations
Note: Students who start the MBM in November and wish to continue with the MBMS will need to take a three-month break the following summer, from December to February.
Waikato Management School has a vibrant student culture and provides a supportive learning environment, with ready access to mentors who have graduated from the MBM.
Working with other students from diverse cultural backgrounds will help you establish a strong network of local and international business contacts.
Throughout the course, you’ll be invited to take part in many fun social and cultural activities to help you bond with your classmates – such as hiking up a mountain for the day! Here are some comments made by our students:
- "Wonderful…you’ll be surprised at the amount of practical learning you get.”
- "It's a great place to study ... You will love the nature and the people here."
- "The knowledge and tools that you gain are something you will not regret."
- “Waikato University’s business school is fantastic with the support from staff and students”.
You can also make new friends through student clubs, such as:
- Waikato Management School Students' Association (WMSSA)
- Innovation Station Waikato
- Social Innovation Waikato
- Te Ranga Ngaku - the Māori management student network
- Pacific Islands Management Students Association (PIMSA)
For expert advice on writing essays and reports, contact our team of specialist teachers in the WMS Language and Learning Development Unit, located in the Management Student Centre (MSB1.50).
Check out the Waikato Management School Facebook page for the latest news and events.
Throughout the MBM degree, you'll gain critical business and communication skills, and become aware of your own abilities as a future leader or business entrepreneur.
Your learning experience is designed to be practical, challenging, and inspiring.
- You'll work in teams to develop an entrepreneurial start-up business, and then pitch your business idea to industry experts.
- The opportunity to complete a month-long executive internship at a local business, while completing an Action Learning Project that delivers real value to the company. We organise all internships on your behalf.
- Visits to local businesses are a feature of this programme.
- Learning is through lectures, video, social media, case studies of real businesses, practical group assignments, creative problem solving and reflective learning.
Admission and enrolment
You can apply for the MBM if you have:
- A bachelor's degree in any subject discipline, or its equivalent, from an approved university
- Achieved a B-minus grade average or above in the final year of your degree.
Admission to this programme may be subject to the completion of any qualifying papers, or additional work may be required.
International students must have a bachelor's degree or an equivalent qualification from a recognised university, and if applicable, meet the English language requirements.
International applicants need to provide evidence of English language proficiency, with an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent, and no band score less than 6.0.
- Further course details: Master of Business and Management (MBM) - Executive Education
- Facebook: University of Waikato MBM
- Facebook: Waikato Management School - Executive Education
- Twitter: @CEEWaikato
EXPM501 Leadership, Power and Influence
EXPM502 Organisational Culture and Communication
EXPM503 Financial Analysis and Performance
EXPM504 Integrative Paper - Application and Reflection
EXPM505 Human Resource Management
EXPM506 Economics for Managers
EXPM507 Strategic Management
EXPM508 Sustainability Strategies for Organisations
EXPM509 Business Research Project
EXPM511 Global Business
EXPM512 Commercial Law and Corporate Governance
EXPM513 Digital Business
EXPM514 Decisions and Supply Chain Management
EXPM515 Action Learning Project
MNGT060 Writing Competency Module
English literacy is important in business. If you don't pass this free writing module, you'll be directed to take the paper MCOM104 instead. Note: Waikato Management School graduates will already have completed this writing module, and don't need to repeat it.
New Zealand students - MBM enquiries
Management Student Centre
Phone: (07) 838 4303 or toll free 0800 654 303
Location: MSB.1.50, Waikato Management School, Hillcrest Road, University of Waikato, Hamilton
Opening hours: 8.45am - 4.45pm Monday to Friday
International students - MBM enquiries
International Office at University of Waikato
Phone: +64 856 2889 (from outside New Zealand)
All students - Apply to enrol at the University of Waikato
|Required papers||Required papers|
Financial Analysis and Performance
Decisions and Supply Chain Management
International Business: Culture and Markets
Writing Competency Module
Organisational Culture and Communication
Economics for Managers
Commercial Law and Corporate Governance
Business Research Project
Personnel and Human Resource Management
Sustainability Strategies for Organisations
Action Learning Project
MBM programme requirements
The MBM is a full-time, intensive programme that is taught over 12 months, starting in either March or November.
To graduate, you'll need to:
- Pass 180 points at 500-level in all of the required papers for the MBM
- Pass a Writing Competency Module (if you haven't already done so)
- Complete any Assurance of Learning requirements.