Adding a YouTube video
- Select the title of the page you wish to add the video to.
- Select the Edit button at the top-right of the page to enter edit mode.
- Select the External drop-down tab from the editing box on the left side of the page, then select External media.
Alternatively, you can click and drag the External media item to any cell on the page.
- In the pop-up window, select the cell of the page layout in which you wish your YouTube video to sit. The selected cell will appear in a darker shade of grey. Select Add.
Note: All cell content can be reorganised later by clicking and dragging from the main page.
- Open a new window or tab in your browser.
- Go to https://www.youtube.com/
- Use the search box in YouTube to locate the video clip you wish to display.
- Select the title of the YouTube video to start it, then select pause.
- Highlight the URL of the video clip, then copy it – If it is correct it should have the word watch in it.
- Go back to Mahara, where you should see the External media: Configure window. Type a title in the Block title box and then paste the URL into the URL or embed code box. When you are happy with your settings, select Save.
- Once back on the main page, you will see the video sitting in the cell you chose. Finally, select Display page at the bottom of the page.
- The video player should appear sized to the width of the column – if you want a larger sized image make the column width larger by editing the layout of the page.
- The video clip plays when you select the play button in the center of the image.
- There are no copyright implications because the file is being linked to, not copied.