Creating a group
Class groups used for assignment submissions can be created on request, please contact us. However if you want students to work in small groups the students can create their own groups by following the process outlined in this section.
- Login to Mahara and select the horizontal lines icon at the top-right of the page. Select the Groups drop down menu and then My Groups.
- The My groups page will show you all the groups you currently belong to. In the top-right corner is the Create group button select this to start the group creation process.
- Fill in the group name and a short group description. It is better to have group names which are unique and self-explanatory rather than general – e.g. not Literacy Group 1 but Jan/Sue/Tipene Lit Group 2013. This makes the group easier to find when searching. The group admin can edit this name later if necessary.
- In the Settings section check the Open option for membership. This makes the group easy to join. It is very important to leave the Pages pulldown Create and edit pages set to All group members. Set the Shared page notifications to None if you don’t want the extra email traffic this will generate.
- Select the Save group button at the bottom of the page.
- The group name that you are a member of should appear in the My Groups dashboard block at the right of the dashboard page.
- You can quickly go to the Group dashboard page by selecting the group name from the dashboard.