Setting the maximum mark for an assignment
The default maximum grade of an assignment is 100, which in most cases is the best-fit, in particular when you are grading as a percentage (i.e. out of 100%).
However, you can change the maximum grade for cases when you are grading out of less than 100. For example, if you have an assignment marked out of 30 then the maximum grade should be updated to 30 also. By doing this you ensure students who get the full 30 marks receive 30 marks, rather than receiving 30% of 30 marks, that is receiving only 10 marks.
The process changes depending on if you have already released grades to students or not. In this guide, we assume that you have already created an assignment (see this guide) and just want to change its maximum grade.
- Select Editing settings on the assignment.
- Scroll down to Grade.
- If you have already released marks you will need to make a choice about Rescaling existing grades:
- If set to Yes, the previously entered marks will be rescaled so that the percentage remains the same. For example, if the mark is 20/100 (20%), changing the maximum grade from 100 to 30 for a will rescale the mark to 6/30 so that the mark is still 20%.
- If set to No, the previously entered marks will not be rescaled. For example, for the mark of 20/100 (20%), the mark will stay the same and will now be 20/30 (66.67%).
- Change the Maximum grade as required.
- Finally, scroll down and Save.