Associate Teacher Postgraduate Study Award
Te Kura Toi Tangata School of Education offers a postgraduate study award for associate (mentor) teachers in recognition of their work in supporting the School's initial teacher education programmes and students, and as part of the School's aim to continue fostering strong connections between the University of Waikato and schools and early childhood services.
The Associate Teacher Postgraduate Study Award is available to schools or early childhood services to help cover the costs for associate teachers, mentor teachers and associate lecturers to undertake 500 level (postgraduate) papers offered by Te Kura Toi Tangata School of Education.
Each award has a value of $1,000 per associate teacher per year. Associate lecturers in partner or CUSP schools qualify for full tuition costs of one master's paper per year.
Te Kura Toi Tangata offers an exciting range of postgraduate level 500 programmes and are for educational practitioners who want to improve their skills, knowledge, expertise and career prospects in Education, Educational Leadership, Educational Management, Counselling or Disability and Inclusion Studies.
For more information about our master programmes and papers:
Open to read key information about the award
- An Associate Teacher is defined as a teacher who provides the main source of professional support and guidance for student teachers from the University of Waikato while they are on practicum or placement in schools or early childhood services. The position may also be referred to as Mentor Teacher or Liasion Teacher.
- The Associate Teacher Postgraduate Study Award is available to those schools or early childhood services where Associate Teachers are enrolled in at least one approved 30 point 500 level (postgraduate) paper offered by the School of Education in any one academic year. Those enrolled in further qualifications such as an educational doctorate will also be entitled to an equivalent sum.
- Selection will be made on the basis of a) the extent that postgraduate study will enhance the candidate's development personally and professionally, and b) the extent that this study will enhance the teaching and learning goals of the candidate's school or early childhood service.
- Candidates are required to provide a one-page outline of their study intentions with the endorsement of their principal or manager. Applications should be made on the Associate Teacher Postgraduate Study Award application form.
- Each Award has a value of $1000 per Associate Teacher, per year.
- Associate lecturers in partner or CUSP schools qualify for full tuition costs of one master’s paper per year.
- The Award may be held in conjunction with any other scholarship or award.
- Applicants and their schools and early childhood services will be advised in writing of the result of their application.
Application closing dates:
In 2021, applications close at 5.00 pm on 12th March and 23rd July.
Enquires and submission of application to:
Postgraduate Administrator Postgraduate and Research
Te Kura Toi Tangata School of Education
(07) 838 4500 ext. 7721