Creating a self sign-up tool for group activities
You can create a Moodle sign-up option for tutorials or any other group activities.
Note: Although students can self-sign up once the activity has been set up, Group Choice requires at least a Co-teacher Moodle role to create and edit.
- First, create the groups. In your Moodle paper, select Participants in the left-hand Menu.
- Select Manage Participants on the right-hand side of the page, then select Groups.
- In the Groups box on the left, you will see a list of the groups that you have already created (if any). At the bottom left of the page, select Create group to add a new group to this list.
- Add a Group name, and edit settings as required. Then select Save changes at the bottom of the page.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for as many groups as you need to create.
- Once you have created all the groups, go to your Moodle paper and select the red Turn editing on button on the top-right corner.
- At the bottom left of the section where you want to create the Group choice, select Add an activity or resource .
- Select Group choice.
- Enter a Group choice name, e.g. Sign up for your tutorial, edit other settings as required.
- To limit the number of students who can sign up to each tutorial or group activity, in Miscellaneous settings change Limit the number of responses allowed to Enable.
A. enter a General limitation number and select Apply to all groups, or
B. see step 12 to enter or edit individual group limits.
- Scroll down to the Groups menu. In the Available Groups box, select the first group that you want to make available, then select Add Group. It will now appear in the Selected Groups box.
- If you have elected to Limit the number of responses allowed, but haven't selected a General limitation (see step 10), a box will appear to the right of Selected Groups. Enter or edit a Limit for your group here.
- Once the maximum number is reached, students will no longer be able to self-select into a group, but the teacher/lecturer can still add individual students to any group.
- If you limit the number of responses but do not enter a maximum number for each group, the limit will remain at zero and those tutorials will appear to students to be full.
Note: If the options in steps 10 to 12 do not appear, make sure that you have added the Group choice activity, rather than the Choice activity.