Should I use a Grading Form or a Rubric?
- Are created via the Rubric Manager in an Assignment’s Turnitin Plagiarism Plugin Settings.
- Can be linked to any Assignment once created.
- Can be shared among graders.
- Shouldn’t be edited or detached from the Moodle Assignment after any students have been marked. Any previous Rubric/Feedback Form marks (other than overall grades) will be lost. Grading Forms and Rubrics cannot be edited after they have been used to grade students, but they can be duplicated and altered to use on another assignment.
Differences and Considerations
- Generate a grade according to the selected cells (but this grade can be edited).
- Include both Criteria and Scales.
- May take longer to set up than a Grading Form.
- Support greater consistency between graders.
- Very useful for fact-based assessments but can also be used for other types of assessment.
- Support faster grading, so particularly useful with large cohorts of students.
- Very transparent.
- Can be qualitative.
- Can be used with no automatic scoring, and a grade allocated by the grader. Note: this may lower consistency of marks.
- Include Criteria only, but the weight and range of each criterion can be included in its name to aid transparency and consistency.
- Allow graders to give an absolute mark based on preset criteria or learning goals.
- Include a comment box and can include a grade box for each criterion.
- Multiple graders accessing the same Rubric or Grading Form at the same time, or one grader using the same Rubric or Grading Form on multiple devices, can result in marks being overwritten. To avoid this happening, either create a different Moodle assignment for each grader, or set up a grading timetable. Log out when switching from one device to another.
- Populating Rubric and Grading Form cells gives students and graders a clear idea of requirements, but it is also good to keep Rubrics and Grading Forms simple and concise.
- Ideally students should have access to the Rubric or Grading Form (either on Moodle or in written form) before they begin working, so that they understand the assignment expectations.
- Consider sharing the UoW Turnitin resources for students which includes how to access feedback and how to view the Rubric or Grading Form before submission.
Moodle and Panopto are unavailable every Thursday 7:00 am – 7:30 am.