Wizard 3: Add Assessment Items
See the Grading page for a gradebook example.
- Follow Steps 1 to 3 below to access Wizard 3.
- The appearance of the current version of Moodle differs slightly from some of the images in this video.
Paper Outlines pilot stage
To ensure that students are able to see important information about their assessments, please include the following details in the names of assessment items. Please also include this information in the How this paper will be taught section of Wizard 5. Add Paper Information.
- The assessment weight
- For compulsory assessments (i.e. students will fail the paper if they don't attempt the assessment), include the word compulsory.
Toggle Edit mode on using the option located at the top right of your Moodle paper.
At the top left, select the Paper Setup Wizards tab to open the drop-down menu.
- Select 3: Add Assessment Items.
- Select either Assessment for final grade or Assessment for feedback (i.e. not graded), then select Next at the bottom right.
- Select the type of assessment item, then at the bottom right select Next.
If you need assessment items that allow you to enter grades in Moodle, but students do not submit anything via Moodle, you can either select Other item, or select Assignment, then when you edit the assignment Settings untick all permitted student submission types.
- Enter the assessment name and edit other details.
- Scroll down and then select Next at the bottom right.
You can update these settings via the Settings tab of each assessment. However, group submission settings cannot be altered after any students have submitted.
- Enter the Assessment item weighting.
- Then open the Grade category drop-down menu, then select the relevant Grade category.
The relative weighting of each assessment item within its Grade category, in combination with the weighting of the category total, determines how much each assessment item contributes to the paper score.
- Finally, select Complete at the bottom right of the screen.