With Auto-create, you specify the number of groups or number of students per group. Moodle creates the groups and populates them automatically.
- Select the paper you want to create groups in and select Participants from the side menu.
- Select Manage Participants.
- Select Groups.
- Select Auto-create groups.
- Enter the following details:
- Naming scheme. It must include a ‘#’ or ‘@’. # numbers your group e.g Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, @ uses letters e.g Group A. Group B, Group C.
- Whether to Auto-create based on the Number of groups or Number of members.
- The relevant number of either groups or members.
- To include only students in your groups, set Select members with role to Student.
- You can also Allocate members to groups Randomly or Alphabetically by first name, last name or ID number
- If you are going to have more than one Grouping (set) of groups in your Moodle paper (e.g. students will be grouped differently for forums and tutorials), create a Grouping of groups. Set Grouping of auto-created groups to New grouping, and add a Grouping name.
- Finally, select Preview to preview your groups or Submit to save your groups.
Note: If you wish to make your last group bigger rather than smaller, tick Prevent last small group.
Check, add or remove groups in a Grouping
Note: See step 8 above to create a New grouping of auto-created groups
- In your Moodle paper, select Participants>Manage participants>Groups as in steps 1-3 above, then select the Groupings tab.
- You will see your auto-created groups in the relevant grouping. To Add (or remove) groups select the person icon at the right of the Grouping name.
- Select relevant groups in the box on the right, then select Add (or Remove).
- Scroll down and select Back to groupings to check that all relevant Groups are now listed as members of the Grouping.
Note: See the Groupings page for how to apply a grouping to an assignment or activity.