Creating Groups and Utilising Group Choice
Using groups is a popular way to allocate a particular activity, resource or topic to a set of students. You can also use the Group Choice activity to let students sign up to their own groups, however it is important to create the groups beforehand.
- Select Participants from the side menu.
- Select Manage Participants.
- Select Groups.
Select Create group, and fill in the details about the new group (Group name is mandatory).
- Finally, select Save changes.
Note: It is also possible to Auto-create groups. This is a good option for creating multiple groups at once.
Adding members to groups
- Select the intended group.
- Select Add/remove users
- Select the people and use the Add or Remove arrows in the centre of the screen to move members to groups as desired.
- Finally, select Back to Groups.
Use the Group Choice activity to allow students to sign up to groups through Moodle.
- Create your groups, as shown above. For tutorial groups, ensure you include the time and location in the Group name:
- In the Introduction tab or first week/topic of your paper, select Add an activity or resource.
- Under Activities, select Group Choice and then select Add.
- In the Group choice name field, type Sign up for your tutorial. Add a description if you wish.
- To set a maximum size for each group, expand Miscellaneous settings.
Next to Limit the number of responses allowed, select Enable. Then type the maximum group size in the box below. Select Apply to all groups.
- Under Groups, select each of your tutorial groups and then select Add Group.
- Select Save and return to paper.
Your tutorial sign up link will display in your paper.