Create and edit Groups
Groups is a popular way to allocate an activity, resource or topic to a set of students. This page explains how to create, edit and add members to groups.
If you are going to have more than one set of groups in your Moodle paper (e.g. students will be grouped differently for forums, group assignments and tutorials), create the groups, then collect them into Groupings (groups of groups).
The Group Choice activity allows students to sign up to their own groups, however it is important to first create the groups.
- Select Participants from the left hand side menu.
- Select Manage Participants on the top right of the page.
- Select Groups from the drop down menu.
Select Create group located on the bottom of the page.
- Fill in the details about the new group (Group name is mandatory)
- Finally, select Save changes.
Note: It is also possible to Auto-create groups. This is a good option for creating multiple groups at once.
Add members to groups
- Select the intended group and then select Add/remove users.
- Select the people and use the Add or Remove arrows in the centre of the screen to move members to groups as desired.
- Scroll down and select Back to Groups.
Edit group settings
To edit groups after you have created them:
- Select Manage Paper in the top right of your Moodle paper, then Groups.
- Select the group that you are editing, then select Edit group settings.