Creating Groups and Utilising Group Choice
Using groups is a popular way to allocate a particular activity, resource or topic to a set of students. You can also use the Group Choice activity to let students sign up to their own groups, however it is important to create the groups beforehand.
- Select Participants from the side menu.
- Select Manage Participants.
- Select Groups.
Select Create group, and fill in the details about the new group (Group name is mandatory).
- Finally, select Save changes.
Note: It is also possible to Auto-create groups. This is a good option for creating multiple groups at once.
Adding members to groups
- Select the intended group.
- Select Add/remove users
- Select the people and use the Add or Remove arrows in the centre of the screen to move members to groups as desired.
- Finally, select Back to Groups.
Use the Group Choice activity to allow students to sign up to groups through Moodle.
- Create your groups, as shown above. For tutorial groups, ensure you include the time and location in the Group name:
- In the Introduction tab or first week/topic of your paper, select Add an activity or resource.
- Under Activities, select Group Choice and then select Add.
- In the Group choice name field, type Sign up for your tutorial. Add a description if you wish.
- To set a maximum size for each group, expand Miscellaneous settings.
Next to Limit the number of responses allowed, change Limit the number of responses allowed to Enable using the drop-down menu. This displays a General limitation box.
A. If you want all groups to have the same number of members, enter a General limitation number and select Apply to all groups
B. Leave this box blank and see step 7 below to enter or edit individual group limits.
- Under Groups, select each of your tutorial groups and then select Add Group.
- If you have elected to Limit the number of responses allowed, but haven't selected a General limitation (see step 5), a box will appear to the right of Selected Groups. Enter or edit a Limit for your group here.
- Once the maximum number is reached, students will no longer be able to self-select into a group, but the teacher/lecturer can still add individual students to any group.
- If you limit the number of responses but do not enter a maximum number for each group, the limit will remain at zero and those tutorials will appear to students to be full.
Your tutorial sign up link will display in your paper.