Use the Group Choice activity to allow students to sign up to groups through Moodle. This is very useful if you offer several tutorial options in a paper, as it allows students to see which dates and times are available, and make their own selection.
Before adding Group choice to your paper, create your groups.
Note: To avoid student confusion, when you create tutorial groups ensure that you include each tutorial's time and location (and flag any remote/online tutorials) in the Group name.
- In the Introduction section or relevant week/topic of your Moodle paper, select Add an activity or resource.
- Under Activities, select Group Choice, then select Add.
- In the Group choice name field, type Sign up for your tutorial. Add a description if you wish.
- To set a maximum size for each group, expand Miscellaneous settings.
Next to Limit the number of responses allowed, change Limit the number of responses allowed to Enable using the drop-down menu. This displays a General limitation box.
A. If you want all groups to have the same number of members, enter a General limitation number and select Apply to all groups
B. Leave this box blank and see step 7 below to enter or edit individual group limits.
- Under Groups, select each of your tutorial groups and then select Add Group.
- If you have elected to Limit the number of responses allowed, but haven't selected a General limitation (see step 5), a box will appear to the right of Selected Groups. Enter or edit a Limit for your group here.
- Once the maximum number is reached, students will no longer be able to self-select into a group, but the teacher/lecturer can still add individual students to any group.
- If you limit the number of responses but do not enter a maximum number for each group, the limit will remain at zero and those tutorials will appear to students to be full.
Your tutorial sign up link will display in your paper.