Group Choice self sign-up
Use Group Choice to allow students to select tutorial times and other types of groups through Moodle.
- First, Create the groups.
Note: To best display tutorial times or other important details for students, include these details in group names.
- After you have created all the groups, select the red Turn editing on button at the top right of your Moodle paper.
- At the bottom left of the Introduction section or relevant week/topic, select Add an activity or resource .
- Select Group choice.
- Enter a Group choice name, e.g. Sign up for your tutorial.
- To limit the number of students in each tutorial or group, scroll down to Miscellaneous settings, then change Limit the number of responses allowed to Enable using the drop-down menu.
- If you want all groups to have the same number of members, enter a number in the General limitation box, then select Apply to all groups.
Leave the General Limitation box blank and see step 9 below to enter or edit individual group numbers.
- Scroll down to Groups. In the Available Groups box on the left, select the group or groups that you want to make available, then select Add Group. The group/s will appear in the Selected Groups box.
Note: If you have several groupings (groups of groups) in your paper, you can select a grouping name to add all of its groups at once, or Expand all groupings and choose individual groups.
- If you have elected to Limit the number of responses allowed (see step 6) a box will appear to the right of Selected Groups. Select each group and enter or edit the maximum number of members.
- Finally, scroll down and select Save and return to paper.
Note: If the editing options below do not appear, make sure that you have selected Group Choice, not Choice.
- Once the maximum number is reached, students will no longer be able to self-select into a group, but the teacher/lecturer can still add individual students to any group.
- If you limit the number of responses allowed (step 6) but do not enter a maximum number for each group (step 7 or 9), the limit be zero and those tutorials will appear to students to be full.
Moodle and Panopto are unavailable every Thursday 7:00 am – 7:30 am.