Add a Xorro-Q session to a Moodle paper
After you have set up a University of Waikato facilitator account, you are ready to add a Xorro-Q activity to your Moodle paper. Xorro-Q is an external tool which can be linked via the Moodle resource picker to enable students to interact with learning resources and activities on other web sites. External tool configurations create a trust relationship between Moodle and the tool provider, allowing secure communication between them. This enables you to use Xorro-Q quizzes as gradable items in Moodle and manage participants.
Note: To create an activity in Xorro-Q, see this page.
- At the top right of your Moodle paper, select Turn editing on.
- At the bottom right of the topic or week to which you want to add a Xorro-Q session, select Add an activity or resource.
- In the pop-up resource picker, select XorroQ.
- Enter an Activity name.
Note: To add a description, select Show more...on the left hand side under Activity name.
- Open the Grade menu to select:
a. The Type of grades - None, Scale or Point
b. The Maximum grade
c. The Grade category, e.g. Tests, Quizzes or Assessment for feedback (not graded).
- Scroll down and select Save and return to paper or Save and display.
- In your Moodle paper, select the name of the Xorro activity that you have just created.
- Select I have Xorro-Q account.
- Enter your Waikato username and your chosen password. If this is the first time you have created a Xorro activity via Moodle, you will be asked to verify and confirm the account. This is a once-only step. Select Confirm at the bottom right to verify.
You are now ready to Create Questions or Import Questions.
Note: To preview and test a Xorro-Q Real-Time activity, we recommend you Clone the activity and test the clone, so that you do not inadvertently make it inaccessible to students because it has already run.
Linking an Activity in Moodle and Xorro
To Link an activity in Moodle and Xorro, so that it is ready to Run,
- Go to your Moodle paper and select the Xorro-Q Activity.
- A Xorro-Q window will pop up. Select Link to the right of the corresponding activity.
Running a Xorro-Q Activity
- To Run the activity, select Run at centre right. This opens the activity's settings menu to allow a last review.
- Finally, select Launch at the bottom right of the pop-up window.
Note: Students join in by selecting the Xorro activity link in Moodle via their devices, in class or remotely.
Student view examples: