The Medical Research Centre’s work is aimed at providing an evidence base to help support the development of general practice and primary care. We see general practices as the cornerstone of the New Zealand Primary Care Strategy.
Our research has particularly involved chronic disease management, including diabetes and cardiovascular disease, as well as common but less-researched topics such as thyroid disease and polycystic ovary syndrome.
We are also interested in better understanding the organisation of primary care services including workforce issues. Much of this research has been in collaboration with local general practitioners and registrars in training.
- Whitehead, J., Pearson, A. L., Lawrenson, R., & Atatoa-Carr, P. Defining general practitioner and population catchments for spatial equity studies using patient enrolment data in Waikato, New Zealand. Applied Geography, 2020;115, 102137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeog.2019.102137
- Keenan R, Chepulis L, Ly J, Carter S, Lao C, Asim M, Bhat A, Deo S, Lim KP, Mohammed R, Scarlet S, Lawrenson R. Metabolic screening in primary care for patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder and taking antipsychotic medication. J Prim Health Care. 2020 Mar;12(1):29-34. doi: 10.1071/HC19023.
- Millar E, Dowell T, Lawrenson R, Mangin D, Sarfati D. Clinical guidelines: what happens when people have multiple conditions? N Z Med J. 2018 Mar 23;131(1472):73-81.
- Millar E, Stanley J, Gurney J, Stairmand J, Davies C, Semper K, Dowell A, Lawrenson R, Mangin D, Sarfati D. Effect of multimorbidity on health service utilisation and health care experiences. J Prim Health Care. 2018 Mar;10(1):44-53
- Stanley J, Millar E, Semper K, Davies C, Dowell A, Mangin D, Lawrenson R, Sarfati D. The impact of multimorbidity on people's lives: a cross-sectional survey. N Z Med J. 2018 Jun 22;131(1477):78-90.
- Whitehead J, Pearson AL, Lawrenson R, Atatoa-Carr P. A framework for examining the spatial equity and sustainability of general practitioner services. Aust J Rural Health. 2018 Oct;26(5):336-341
- Nixon G, Blattner K, Koroheke-Rogers M, Muirhead J, Finnie WL, Lawrenson R, Kerse N. Point-of-care ultrasound in rural New Zealand: Safety, quality and impact on patient management. Aust J Rural Health. 2018 Oct;26(5):342-349
- Nixon G, Blattner K, Muirhead J, Finnie W, Lawrenson R, Kerse N. Scope of point-of-care ultrasound practice in rural New Zealand. J Prim Health Care. 2018 Oct;10(3):224-236. doi: 10.1071/HC18031.