The Library has three basic types of membership - Staff and Student, Associate and Alumni. See Borrowing for information about loans, equipment and access to a range of resources.
Staff & Student Membership
Permanent and fixed-term staff of the University, and students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate papers automatically get full membership of the University Library. Full membership provides:
- Access to Library e-resources including ejournals and databases
- Ability to borrow Library materials - different loan periods and limits apply for Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students and Staff)
- Access to the Library's interlibrary loan and document delivery services
- Use of Library computers
- Ability to book group rooms and equipment
Associate membership is available to members of partner organisations under specified programmes or reciprocal agreements. Enquiries about Associate Membership can be made at the Library Service Desk in the Student Centre Mondays to Fridays between 9am and 5pm, or contact [email protected].
Those eligible for an Associate Membership include the following:
- Honorary Doctorates and Fellows of this University
- University of Waikato Medal holders
- University of Waikato Emeritus Professors
- Retired staff of this University
- Members of the University Council
- Staff and students of other New Zealand universities that are parties to the University Libraries of Australia and New Zealand (ULANZ) scheme.
- Wintec staff and students under the University of Waikato and Wintec Reciprocal Agreement
- Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology staff and students under the University of Waikato and Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology Reciprocal Agreement
- Some Waikato District Health Board staff (more information for WDHB staff is available from their Library)
- Graduates of a University who pay a membership fee (currently $100 per annum)
- Permanent staff of businesses that reside on the University of Waikato Hamilton Campus
- Landcare Research Hamilton staff
- NIWA Hamilton staff
- AgResearch Ruakura staff
To find out more about services and resources that are available to associate members, see Associate Membership.
Alumni of the University of Waikato may join the Library free of charge. Alumni members can borrow most materials from the Library. They also have access to some Library e-resources, but not interlibrary loan services. See Alumni Library Services for details.
Enquiries about Library membership should be directed to the Library Service Desk on Level 2 of the Student Centre or to the Service Desk in the Teaching Resources Library. More information for our Alumni is available at University of Waikato Alumni.
Public Access to the Library
Members of the public are welcome to visit the Library and browse our collections, however, books and other materials are available for consultation within the Library only. If you want to use a photocopier in the Student Centre, please see the staff at the ITS or Level 2 Library Service desk for a photocopy card. If you are visiting the Teaching Resources Library, ask at the Service Desk.
We also offer a limited set of databases that the publishers have agreed can be used by anyone visiting the Central Library in person. These are also known as walk-in databases. Please ask at the Level 2 Library Service Desk for directions to the computer where these can be accessed.
Arrangements can be made for Year 13 students from schools throughout the Waikato region who are in extension programmes to have temporary membership of the University Library. This membership includes borrowing physical materials, but excludes access to e-resources. Students who are working in the Student Centre can make use of the selection of databases noted above. Such arrangements are made with the school, not with individual students. Please email [email protected] for more information about this.