Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Responsibility for policy: Director of Human Resource Management
Approving authority: Vice-Chancellor
Last reviewed: May 2017
Next review date: May 2022
- This policy applies to all staff of the University of Waikato.
- The purpose of this policy is to outline the University's commitment to equal employment opportunity, diversity and inclusion.
- The following documents set out further information relevant to this policy:
- The University is committed to:
- providing equality of opportunity in employment irrespective of a person's sex, gender, marital status, religious belief, ethical belief, colour, race, ethnic or national origins, disability, age, political opinion, employment status, family status or sexual orientation
- identifying and eliminating any institutional barriers that cause or perpetuate, or tend to cause or perpetuate, inequality in respect of the employment of any person or group of persons
- ensuring that all its policies and practices uphold the principle of equal employment opportunity
- ensuring that all staff appointments are made solely on the basis of merit, and that all promotions, advancements, salary reviews and professional/career development opportunities are based solely on merit
- improving employment opportunities for groups who are traditionally under-represented in either occupational groups or levels of seniority, in particular women, Māori and Pacific people.
- Line managers are responsible for ensuring that all practices and procedures that apply to the staff for whom they are responsible are consistent with this policy.
- The Director of Human Resource Management is responsible for the development and implementation of a Diversity and Inclusion Programme that upholds the above principles and includes associated monitoring and reporting.
Responsibility for monitoring compliance
- The Director of Human Resource Management is responsible for monitoring compliance with this policy and reporting any breaches to the Vice-Chancellor.
- Breaches of this policy may result in disciplinary action under the Staff Code of Conduct.
The term ‘School’ in this policy includes Faculties and the term ‘Head of School’ includes Deans.