Evaluation of Teaching and Papers Policy
Responsibility for policy: Pro Vice-Chancellor Teaching and Learning
Approving authority: Academic Board
Last reviewed: August 2018
Next review date: August 2023
- This policy applies to all paper convenors, Heads of School or equivalent and Associate Deans Academic or equivalent of the University of Waikato.
- The purpose of this policy is to:
- set out the responsibilities of paper convenors, Heads of School or equivalent and Associate Deans Academic or equivalent with respect to regular student evaluations of teaching and papers, and the promotion of the University's commitment to the achievement of excellence in teaching and learning, and
- demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement.
- This policy should be read in conjunction with the following:
- Paper convenors are required to:
- conduct a paper evaluation and a teaching evaluation for at least every second occurrence of each paper for which they are responsible, in accordance with the current Guidelines for the Evaluation of Teaching and Papers, and
- include in a subsequent Paper Outline a summary of any changes that have been made to the paper in response to the results of the most recently available student evaluations.
- Heads of School or equivalent and Associate Deans Academic or equivalent are required to:
- ensure that cycle of evaluations required under clause 4 of this policy is implemented, and
- take the evaluation data provided by the Centre for Tertiary Teaching and Learning for staff in their School or equivalent into account in their discussions with staff about professional goal-setting and professional development opportunities.
- Taking account of the evaluation data provided by the Centre for Tertiary Teaching and Learning for staff in their Division, Associate Deans Academic or equivalent are required to report annually to the Pro Vice-Chancellor Teaching and Learning on the implementation of this policy in their Division.
Responsibility for monitoring compliance
- The Pro Vice-Chancellor Teaching and Learning is responsible for monitoring compliance with this policy and reporting any breaches to the Pro Vice-Chancellor of the relevant Division and the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academic.
- Breaches of this policy may result in disciplinary action under the Staff Code of Conduct.