Space Allocation and Management Policy
Responsibility for policy: Director of Property Development and Infrastructure
Approving authority: Vice-Chancellor
Last reviewed: March 2021
Next review date: March 2026
- This policy applies to all staff of the University of Waikato.
- The purpose of this policy is to reflect the University's commitment to providing high-quality facilities to support excellence in teaching, learning, research and related operational activities, and to ensure appropriate, equitable and cost-effective allocation of space for staff to carry out their responsibilities.
Allocation of office space for staff
- The guidelines for allocation of office space are as follows:
- Each staff member is entitled to a maximum of one office or workspace unless approved otherwise by the Director of Property Development and Infrastructure.
- General staff and part-time academic staff may be required to share office space.
- The following provisions apply with respect to office space in new buildings:
- single occupancy office - minimum size of 9m²
- shared occupancy office - minimum size of 10m², with a minimum of 5m² of space per person
- staff in open plan office situations - minimum size of 6m² per person.
- For office space in existing buildings, the same standards as for new buildings (3.c. above) will apply wherever practicable.
- Authority to allocate space rests with the Director of Property Development and Infrastructure.
- Wherever practicable, meeting rooms must be centrally bookable spaces, with staff designated locally to manage the bookings.
- The University provides a number of centrally-serviced tea rooms; where staff do not have ready access to a centrally-serviced tea room, the Director of Property Development and Infrastructure will arrange for tea and coffee making facilities to be provided.
- Other support spaces such as resource rooms, stationery rooms, copier bays and reception areas will be provided at the discretion of the Director of Property Development and Infrastructure in consultation with the relevant Pro Vice-Chancellor, Director or equivalent.
Requests for additional space
- Requests for additional space beyond a Division or equivalent's allocation must be referred by the relevant Pro Vice-Chancellor, Director or equivalent to the Director of Property Development and Infrastructure.
- Any request under clause 8 of this policy that requires new buildings or new infrastructure and is supported by the Director of Property Development and Infrastructure, must be considered and decided by the Capital and Finance Committee through its planning and budget processes.
- Authority to approve any request under clause 9 of this policy that does not require new buildings or new infrastructure rests with the Director of Property Development and Infrastructure.
Central management of teaching space
- The Director of Student Services is responsible for the timetabling of all teaching spaces, including lecture rooms, tutorial rooms and teaching laboratories.
Utilisation of allocated space
- The Director of Property Development and Infrastructure has authority to conduct regular audits of space utilisation across the campus, and refer any relevant recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor.
- A Division or equivalent may not make its allocated space available for use by a third party without prior approval by the Director of Property Development and Infrastructure.
- Any alterations, additions or physical changes to allocated space or any built-in infrastructure must be carried out by Property Services or its agents.
- Appeals against decisions by the Director of Property Development and Infrastructure under this policy must be directed to the Vice-Chancellor.