Transferring your points
The points you earn during your exchange will be transferred over to your Waikato qualification. The maximum number of points you can transfer is 60/trimester, which is equivalent to the standard trimester workload at Waikato.
When you go on exchange for at least one trimester, you will be enrolled as a University of Waikato student. This means you will pay tuition fees here, not at the host university. However, you’ll be responsible for other costs including airfares, overseas living costs, accommodation, and course materials.
Did you know that if you are currently eligible for student loan and student allowance or living cost support that you could be eligible for these while on your exchange?
Eligibility for allowances and loans is based on the duration and total EFTS of your programme (i.e. full-time status). Our Waikato OE team will assist you with the the StudyLink application for overseas study after you have formally submitted your exchange application.
This opportunity is only available to undergraduate Australian and New Zealand Citizens, Permanent Residents and resident visa holders who are currently in New Zealand and meet the exchange eligibility requirements.
Note, resident visa holders can apply if they have valid travel conditions and have been in New Zealand previously whilst holding that resident visa. Resident visa holders must ensure they meet the required number of days in New Zealand as stated for their resident visa and not exceed the limit whilst in Australia. As Waikato OE cannot advise on visa matters, students need to contact Immigration New Zealand for further advice.
The exchange requirements are:
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 (B average).
- Completed at least two full-time semesters at the University of Waikato prior to Trimester A 2022.
- Currently enrolled at the University in an undergraduate programme.
- Your suitability as a representative of the University.
All student participating in an A Trimester exchange in Australia must:
- have an insurance policy prior to departure
- submit details of their travel bookings and accommodation arrangements to Waikato OE prior to departure.
- assume that there is a level of risk associated with travelling to and from Australia, as the situation is subject to change at any point while abroad.
Please bear in mind the situation could change at any time and it is the student’s responsibility to understand potential risks involved with participating in an exchange at this time. Students will be responsible for any additional costs incurred as the result of changing Trans-Tasman travel bubble conditions. This includes but is not limited to unanticipated costs arising from delayed travel plans and mandatory managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) stays upon return to New Zealand.