Why would I be referred to the Student Discipline Committee?

You would be referred to the Student Discipline Committee if someone considers that you have behaved in a way that breaches one or more of the University's regulations and they have made a formal written complaint about it to the Student Discipline Committee.

At the time of enrolment you (and all students) are required to sign a Student Declaration agreeing to abide by the regulations of the University of Waikato, as published in the Calendar.

The paper outline for each of your papers also contains information about the regulations relevant to your programme of study and it is your responsibility to be aware of these regulations. If you do not abide by one or more of these regulations a complaint of misconduct may be made against you. Anyone can make a complaint about a student's behaviour but only enrolled students are subject to disciplinary procedures.

The Student Discipline Regulations outline the behaviours that are considered misconduct.
It is considered misconduct when a student:

  • commits a serious breach of the obligation, shared by staff and others members of the University community, to act towards others reasonably, courteously, considerately and with good faith
  • behaves in a manner that significantly impedes or subverts the efficient functioning of the University in accordance with its statutory role
  • behaves in a manner that discredits the University
  • breaches any regulations published in the University of Waikato Calendar
  • fails to comply with any reasonable and lawful policy or instruction approved and notified by the Vice-Chancellor, Council, Academic Board, or delegated authority of the Vice-Chancellor, Council or Academic Board
  • uses University property, resources or funds for other than authorised purposes
  • incurs liability on the part of the University without authorisation
  • behaves in a manner that is likely to harm unfairly the reputation or professional prospects of another student or a member of staff
  • behaves in a manner that jeopardises the health or safety of another person
  • knowingly misleads the University in any significant matter
  • encourages, assists, or procures a person to commit misconduct

(Student Discipline Regulations, section 6(a-k))

A finding of misconduct against a student can have serious and long-term consequences, so it is important that if a complaint is made against you, you take it seriously and respond appropriately. See Decision and Outcomes for more information.