Higher Research Degrees Application Process

Applications for Higher Research Degree study, which includes the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Doctor of Education (EdD),  Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD),  Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) and Masters of Philosophy (MPhil), can be received at any time, but applications will only be considered three times each year. Once your application has been approved, you can choose to enrol from the first day of any month between February and November.

When you apply to undertake a Higher Research Degree, your application will be assessed to check that you meet the admission criteria for Higher Research Degree study, as well as meeting the specific entry requirements for the qualification in which you wish to enrol.

The University of Waikato Doctoral Scholarship application process is now included in the Higher Degree application process, described below. When you apply for PhD, DMA, EdD or SJD study, you will have the opportunity to indicate if you would like to be considered for a University of Waikato Doctoral scholarship.