There are several ways you can gain admission to degree study at the University of Waikato. We have information available appropriate to your intended level of study.
Ready to apply?Apply now
Undergraduate entry requirements
It is likely that you will be accepted into a Waikato degree if you meet one of the five entry criteria requirements. However, some degrees have additional entry requirements.
If you’re living in Australia we have additional information to explain the transition to studying in New Zealand.
If you are seeking entrance with an overseas qualification we provide equivalent entry qualifications for many countries.
The admission guidelines do not guarantee entry into a programme of studies. Each application is assessed on a case-by-case basis. If your qualification or country is not listed in our undergraduate international entrance guidelines, please contact [email protected].
Don't meet the entry criteria?
If you do not meet the entry criteria or need further preparation for degree study, we also offer a range of bridging and pathway programmes.
Pathway Programmes at the Waikato Pathways College
The Waikato Pathways College offers pathway programmes for students who don’t meet the academic or English language requirements for degree-level study:
- The Certificate of University Preparation is for students with a New Zealand secondary school qualification who don't meet the direct university entry requirements. Upon successful completion, students can progress to an undergraduate degree.
- The Foundation Studies programme is for international students who don’t meet the direct university entry requirements. Upon successful completion, students can progress to an undergraduate degree.
- The Academic English programme is for international students who need to improve their English language skills to prepare for the Foundation Studies programme at the Waikato Pathways College, or a range of degree courses at the University of Waikato.
- The General English Programme is for international students who want to improve their everyday language skills in preparation for the academic English course at the Waikato Pathways College.
Jump Start Programme
- The Jump Start Programme is a short summer course for students new to undergraduate study. Within the programme, students complete a 100 level paper while learning study skills, making friends, and gaining confidence – giving them a head start in their tertiary studies..
Postgraduate entry requirements
Find out about our entry requirements for Postgraduate study.
If you are an international student, you will also need to meet an English language entry requirement.
If you do not meet the requirement for your chosen postgraduate qualification, we have Academic English Language programmes available that you can enrol in to help you meet these entry requirements.
Applications for Higher Research Degree study can be received at any time and you can begin your study as soon as your enrolment has been confirmed.
When you apply to undertake a higher research degree, your application will be assessed to check that you meet the admission criteria for Higher Research Degree study as well as meeting the specific entry criteria for the qualification in which you wish to enrol.
You will need to meet both academic and English Language entry requirements to study at the University of Waikato on a study abroad programme.
We do have pathway options available if you do not meet our entry requirements, and our Future Student Advisers are happy to talk through your options with you.
Waikato Pathways College
The Waikato Pathways College provides pathway programmes for students who don’t meet the requirements for degree-level study. Students can choose to study one of the following programmes:
- Foundation Studies programme to prepare for an undergraduate degree
- Academic English programme to prepare for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, or the Foundation Studies programme depending on which level you study
- General English programme to prepare for the Academic English programme
Upon successful completion, students can progress to a degree at the University of Waikato, or a pathway programme at the Waikato Pathways College, depending on what pathway programme is chosen for study.
If you have successfully completed study in the English medium, you may not have to take a language test. This document also includes all approved alternatives to our IELTS requirements.
Book an appointment to chat with one of our Future Student Advisers
To book an appointment with one of our advisers in Hamilton please phone
If you would like to chat to an adviser in Tauranga please email [email protected].