Master of Educational Leadership
Enhance your career prospects with a specialised programme that challenges you personally and professionally. Make a difference to the quality of education and create opportunities for your future leadership in education.
Work with academics who are internationally recognised for their leadership research and practice. Develop the skills, knowledge and dispositions to be an effective educational leader.
Complete coursework at a pace that suits you – part-time while you work, or full-time over 18 months.
The School of Education offers an Associate Teacher Postgraduate Study Award to associate teachers in recognition of their work in supporting the School’s initial teacher education programmes and students.
- Examine leadership systems and practices to support change and innovation in organisational contexts.
- Inquire into personal leadership practice.
- Understand, critique and contribute to the educational research that is shaping New Zealand's educational policy and practice
- Locate leadership work in a framework of social justice and seek to make a difference for high-needs students.
- Develop the skills, knowledge and dispositions to be an effective educational leader
- Enhance leadership networks by contributing to a vibrant professional learning community
- Flexible delivery (NET/Block course)
|MEdLeadership Study Locations:||Hamilton, Tauranga|
Papers offered differ by location. The Catalogue of Papers has full location info.
|Start Dates:||Semester A (February) and Semester B (July)|
$7,185-$7,740 per year
See if you're eligible for fees-free study in your first year
|Fees (International):||$30,695 (120 pts) or $46,045 (180 pts)|
|Entry Requirements:||Postgraduate International|
|*Tuition fees shown are indicative only and may change. There are additional fees and charges related to enrolment please see the Table of Fees and Charges for more information. You will be sent an enrolment agreement which will confirm your fees.|
Choose a main subject
Expand to read entry requirements
Admission normally requires a bachelors degree with at least B average in the third year and a teaching qualification, and two years' teaching experience.
Please include in your online application a 100-300 word statement describing your professional background and reasons for choosing this qualification.
In order to be eligible for consideration for the award of honours, the requirements of the degree must be completed in two years of full-time study or four years of part-time study from the date of first enrolment in the degree. MEdLeadership Regulations
120 point Master of Educational Leadership available subject to meeting eligibility requirements. MEdLeadership Regulations
Study in Tauranga
Many of our 500 level postgraduate papers in Educational Leadership are offered fully online or partially online/on-campus (Hamilton and Tauranga).
Scholarships and prizes
New to Waikato? The International Excellence Scholarship is worth up to $10,000.
Visit our Scholarship Finder for information about possible scholarships
Structure of programme
Students are required to complete 180 points and there are three options regarding how study can be planned.
Students are required to complete 180 points and there are three options regarding how study can be planned. It is recommended to start with the two required content papers EDLED501 & EDLED502.
New paper codes were introduced in 2019. Compare old and new paper codes here.
- EDLED501 - Educational Leadership: Issues and Perspectives
- EDLED502 - Educational Leadership: Organisational Development
Research Methods / Research
A Research Methods paper, and at least 30 points of independent supervised research with a focus on educational leadership.
Choose one from:
- EDUCA557 - Research Methods
- MAOED500 - Rangahau Kaupapa Māori - Kaupapa Māori Research
- EDUCA500 - Culturally Responsive Methodologies incorporating kaupapa Māori and critical theories
And at least one from:
- EDUCA590 Directed Study - see the Directed Study Guidelines and application form
- EDUCA592 Dissertation - see the Dissertation Guidelines and application form
- EDUCA593 Masters Thesis - see the Masters Thesis Guidelines and application form
- EDUCA594 Masters Thesis
Choose remaining papers from:
- HMDEV565 - Restorative Practices in Education
- EDSOC501 - Education Policy and Society
- EDLED504 - Educational Leadership: Inquiry in Organisations and Communities
- EDLED505 - Educational Leadership for Social Justice
- EDLED503 - Developing Educational Leadership: Coaching and Mentoring
- EDLED506 - Educational Leadership: Advanced Coaching and Mentoring
- MAOED523 - Maori Educational Policies: Their Development and Some Strategic Responses
- EDUCA540 - Professional Learning and Development
- EDUCA541 - Using Evidence for Effective Practice
- EDLED507 - Educational Leadership: Professional Seminar
30 points may be taken from outside the field of the degree.
Te Kura Toi Tangata School of Education
Programme Administrators - Postgraduate and Research
Phone: (+64) 7 838 4466 Ext: 7721
Phone: (+64) 7 838 4466 Ext: 7870
Have a chat with one of our friendly advisers to help you plan your degree.
Phone: +64 7 8384610 Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgEnquire Now