The Postgraduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning — PGCert(TertiaryT&L) — is a recognised qualification for staff working in tertiary education contexts who wish to extend their understanding of tertiary learning and teaching, improve their own practice and facilitate positive change in student learning across their courses and programmes or in their specific areas of work. It is a flexible programme offering face-to-face and online options that can benefit people engaged in tertiary education teaching at any point during their career. The programme can be completed over one to four years, depending on individual preferences and needs.
Through the PGCert programme, participants will have opportunities to improve their own teaching, research teaching and learning, critically engage with theories and principles of tertiary teaching and learning, contextualise their own practice locally, nationally and globally, and be prepared to take responsibility for leading teaching and learning initiatives at an appropriate level.
The PGCert in Tertiary Teaching and Learning requires successful completion of four 15-point elective papers.
Papers (offered on a rotating basis)
- Learning, Teaching and Assessment in Tertiary Education (highly recommended for new teachers)
- Blended/online learning
- Content and language integrated learning (CLIL) in the tertiary classroom
- Current trends in global higher education and their impact
- Curriculum and course design
- Digital literacy for teaching and learning
- Inclusive learning environments and approaches
- Integrating Kaupapa Māori across programmes
- Internationalising learning and teaching
- Researching learning and teaching practice
- Supervising postgraduate students
- Work-integrated learning
- Facilitating learning in small group contexts
- Directed study
- Recognition of prior learning