Opera Te Pae Kōkako
Te Pae Kōkako - The Aotearoa New Zealand Opera Studio (TANZOS) is a new, immersive MMus programme which will provide exceptionally promising young opera singers with international-level training and experience, from both national and visiting international tutors, as well as industry residencies in New Zealand and abroad. For more detailed information about the opportunities, programme and tutors at TANZOS, please visit our website at www.tanzos.org
The TANZOS programme is the only one of its kind in Aotearoa and will be open to five singers in its pilot year. It encompasses all the necessary elements required to give singers the best start on the global stage.
We are providing an enhanced MMus in Opera Studies, which will be full-time and based at our Hamilton Campus. You'll have 'normal' weeks on campus with weekly masterclasses, regular lessons and repertoire coaching as well as special residencies with opera companies and professional orchestras offsite.
During this unique MMus programme, you'll be forming connections with companies from all over the world, and have experience of what it's like in the career as an opera singer. It will also equip you with extra skills like self management, languages, musicianship, stagecraft and many more designed to give you the best start possible.
Assessment will incorporate recitals, role preparation and musicianship and you'll also get the opportunity to audition for and work with a number of international guests.
- Regular masterclasses
- Community outreach
- Auditions for external national/international companies and artist managers
- Regular performance opportunities
- Offsite company residencies
|BMus(Hons) or equivalent
|Area of Study:
Study Opera Te Pae Kōkako in these qualifications
Study Opera Te Pae Kōkako as a specialisation of
MMus – Opera Applications for the MMus in Opera close on the 15th of September.
MMus – Opera
Applications for the MMus in Opera close on the 15th of September.
2024 Audition Dates Sun 3 and Mon 4 November.
Entry to the programme is by audition only.
A BMus or academic equivalent is required along with a proven ability as a singer of promise with evidence provided at the time of application consisting of:
- Curricula Vitae
- Links to 2 or more video recordings of performances
- Up to two references from a teacher or opera practitioner.
- Audition requirements: Applicants will be required to present three contrasting opera arias from memory to a select audition panel. The panel may also engage in a discussion with the applicant during the audition.
Scholarships and prizes
New to Waikato? The International Excellence Scholarship is worth up to $10,000.
Visit our Scholarship Finder for information about possible scholarships
Expand to read practical skills
- Vocal technique and performance – operatic singing with one primary teacher
- Vocal and stylistic coaching – with visiting and faculty vocal coaches
- Repertoire knowledge: Preparing vocally-suitable roles in their entirety – necessary for industry entry auditions
- Musicianship – sight-singing, keyboard skills, score-reading
- Recital programming – lieder and art song
- Oratorio preparation
- Audition technique
- Language coaching
- Resilience programme: performance psychology, practical and pastoral support, career advice, management advice
For questions about TANZOS, you can email us [email protected]