Words that confuse
Instructions: Hover or tap the questions below to see the relevant lessons for each item in the pre-quiz.
1. Instructions: Type into the correct word into the space below .
The variables in this experiment will undoubtedly _______ the outcome.
Is it affect or effect?
Relevant lesson: Affect | effect
2. Instructions: Select the correct pronoun for each sentence below.
Suspect to policeman: "Nah man, ... not mine eh. That's _______ stuff man!" there ❍ their ❍ they're ❍
Can you tell me where ______ coming from? ❍ their ❍ they're ❍
I thought I'd left my stuff ______, but not it has gone! ❍ their ❍ they're ❍
Relevant lesson: They're | their | there
3. Instructions: Type into the correct word into the space below .
We don't want to _____ any more time. Choose what you want and we'll go!
Is it loose or lose?
Relevant Stage 4 lesson: Affect | effect
4. Instructions: Select the correct pronoun for each sentence below.
Someone has parked in my carpark again. _____ responsible for removing that car? who's ❍ whose ❍
______ car is it anyway? who's ❍ whose ❍
______ that man over there with that tow truck? who's ❍ whose ❍
Would the person _____ car is in my park please step forward! who's ❍ whose ❍
He says that it is not his car. ______ is it then? who's ❍ whose ❍
Relevant lesson: Who's | whose
5. Select the best option below if you think that Maria paid for her flowers.
Sentence: Maria bought some flowers at the fair.
❍ It is not clear whether she paid for the flowers or not.
❍ Yes, (she paid for them)
❍ No, (she didn't pay for them)
Yes (she paid for them) ✔
Relevant lesson: Brought | bought
6. Instructions: Type into the correct word into the space below .
Before eating my breakfast I enjoy Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee more ____ any other.
Is it then or than?
Relevant lesson: Then | than
7. Select the option below that uses passed or past correctly.
❍ I think I just saw a monkey on a scooter ride passed me.
❍ We should look to the future, as we cannot change the past.
❍ I feel like my youth past me while I was sleeping.
We should look to the future, as we cannot change the past. ✔
Relevant lesson: Passed | past
8. Instructions: Type into the correct word into the space below .
The judge will _______ your statement before deliberating on her decision.
Is it accept or except?
Relevant lesson: Accept | except