Stage 3: Grammar menu
Instructions: Hover or tap the questions below to see the relevant Stage 3 lesson for the items in the pre-quiz.
1. Instructions: Use the information in sentences i) and ii) below to complete the statement below.
i) The fish we bought last week was not very fresh.
ii) The fish in the market yesterday was much fresher.
Complete this statement: ______________ fish was fresher than last __________.
Yesterday's fish was fresher than last week's ✔
Relevant Stage 3 lesson: Apostrophes 3
2. Instructions:Write a two-letter acronym for "New Zealand".
Relevant Stage 3 lesson: Capitals for acronyms
3. Sentence a) My son, who is a policeman, took the victims' statements.
Sentence b) My son who is a policeman took the victims' statements.
For each sentence above decide if I have one son, or more than one son?
Sentence a) one son ✔ Sentence b) more than one son ✔
Relevant Stage 3 lesson: Who, which, or that — Relative clauses
4. Sentence: Emily was always the musician of the family, but it was her sister Helen who did the cooking.
Should this sentence have a comma?
Relevant Stage 3 lesson: Commas 3
5. Identify the disruptive information in this sentence.
Sentence: The wild kitten being cornered and frightened hissed and spat at the vet.
being cornered and frightened
Relevant Stage 3 lesson: Modifiers 3