Create a recording
Note: You can find a longer video, with extra tips, at the bottom of this page.
1. On your desktop, double-click the Panopto icon to open the Panopto Recorder program. Alternatively you can search for the programme in your system, or follow this link to go to the University of Waikato's Panopto server: waikato.au.panopto.com
2. If prompted, select Sign in using elearn.
3. Sign in with your standard Waikato username and password.
4. If you accessed Panopto via the Panopto server/Coursecast link, select the red Create button at the top centre of the screen, then Record a new session.
And if prompted, confirm that you want to Open Panopto Recorder.
5. When the Panopto Recorder opens, select the drop-down arrow to choose the Folder where you want to save your recording.
Note: If your desired paper/folder is not available, the folder or your access to the folder may not be correctly set up. You can record to another folder, and move the recording later. You always have access to a personal folder called My Folder.
6. Select Primary Sources and Secondary Sources (e.g. audio, video, screen, PPT, Document Camera).
Note: Ensure that you have selected an Audio source, and the sound meter shows audio levels are OK.
7. Name your recording so that it is easy for you and everyone else to find.
8. To start your recording, select the Record button in the top left-hand corner.
9. When you have finished recording, select Stop. This step saves your recording. You can Pause and Resume at any time during recording, but this doesn't save your recording..
10. Select Delete and record again if you are not happy with your recording and want to re-do it, or Upload if it is satisfying.
Note: After selecting Upload, the recording will be uploaded to the Panopto database, then processed before being made available for viewing, editing and sharing. You can log out after you select Upload (make sure you don't log out before you do this), the processing will not be affected. Processing may take up to a few hours before you are able to view the recording. The Manage Recordings window that appears after you upload shows you the status of your recording.
You can select Resume to continue recording, Share, Edit, or View, from this window as the links become available, or return to your recording later on to view, share and edit it by signing back into Panopto and going to the folder that you recorded it in.