WIL at Waikato

What is WIL at Waikato?

Work-integrated learning (WIL) is work integrated with study; a practical application of the skills that you have learned throughout your qualification in a professional environment. The University of Waikato requires all students to complete a work-integrated learning experience (most commonly as a stand-alone paper) as part of an undergraduate degree.

Placement, Work-related project or The Impact Lab?
The University has developed a range of papers in each School and qualification that will meet your degree’s work-integrated learning (WIL)requirements. Your School's WIL Contact (often part of the enrolments and programme team) is the best person with whom to discuss what opportunities are available to you, as  this will depend on the requirements or options within your degree.

A placement or internship involves immersion in the workplace, so you need to be able to meet the time commitments required by the paper. A work-related project does not necessarily require you to be located at the organisation. Depending on what options are available in your degree, it may also be undertaken as an individual project, group project or class project. In addition, the university also provides a pan-divisional programme - The Impact Lab - which is a multi-disciplinary team challenge working on solving issues for organisations and communities with sustainable outcomes To find out more about The Impact Lab, click here.

Check out the WIL paper options here. More information on these specific WIL papers and your options can be found below on your School web page.

Finding a placement or project
Many projects and placements will be made available on the University's MyWIL platform where you can apply for these opportunities,. You may propose your own work placement or project,. however please speak to your School WIL contact prior to approaching  any organisation.It is possible that they will already have made contact or have a previous partnership with the University.

Hours in the workplace
This can vary depending on the paper and the work that is required. Placements can range between 60 and 400 hours. Work-related projects may only require in-class lectures and email communication with the partner organisation.

Academic credit
The WIL papers specified in your degree planner will count towards your qualification. Papers are either 15 credits or 30 credits, in some cases you may be able to take more than one WIL paper in your qualification. You will need to speak to your WIL contact to find out if this is a possibility.

Can volunteering count towards WIL?
Yes, but it will need to be pre-approved, relate to your degree, meet the learning outcomes of the paper including time requirements and assessments.

The University of Waikato begins to prepare you for your work placement or work-related project from your first day in your first year. The theoretical knowledge you accumulate during your time at the University is a key aspect in developing your practical and professional skillset. You will also have the support of the Careers Development Team in getting work-ready.

Responsibilities and expectations
While you are out in placement or engaging with a partner organisation, you will be expected by the University to maintain professionalism and behave in a way appropriate to a representative of the University.

You will be required to sign a student statement which is available from your School's relevant WIL contact. The statement covers the following:

  • Adherence to the University Student Code of Conduct
  • Intellectual property rights
  • Confidentiality
  • Responsibility for your learning
  • Attendance and Assessment
  • Health and Safety
  • Engaging with the partner organisations policies and guidelines

Considerations for working remotely

There are some instances where you might need to work remotely with either your academic supervisor or your workplace supervisor. Click here for guidance about what this means, what you need to consider, and what you should do.

Essential requirements
Please contact your school in the first instance to find out more specific information about the WIL requirements of your degree.

Exchange students fly high in Denmark and Singapore

While most of us were on summer holiday, a group of third-year University of Waikato students were halfway around the world, combining study with an overseas experience.

Read full story