Professor Bronwen Cowie
Director Wilf Malcolm Institute of Educational Research, Associate Dean Research
Qualifications: BSc, MSc, PhD
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Cowie, Prof Bronwen||4987||bcowie||TW.1.10||Wilf Malcolm Institute of Educat|
|Cowie, Prof Bronwen||4987||bcowie||TW.1.10||Faculty of Education Dean's Office|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room
My research is focussed on classroom interactions and learning, with an emphasis on Assessment for Learning in science and technology classrooms and culturally responsive science education both underpinned by a sociocultural view of learning. I have explored the affordances of information and communication technologies in and for primary science and in the provision of feedback in writing. My research is carried out in collaboration with colleagues and teachers; I value the depth of understanding and insight that collaboration brings.
Student teacher learning about assessment is another areas of interest. I am currently involved in a four-nation study – with colleagues here and in Canada, Australia and the UK. I am also involved in an Australia-New Zealand study investigating what might be threshold concepts to understanding equity and inclusion in teacher education.
I use a range of research data generation and analysis processes depending on the research question/s. These include classroom (video) observation, interviews, focus groups, the use of drawing and photography as well as large scale surveys.
I would welcome queries about any of these topics and approaches.