Dr Elaine Khoo
Senior Research Fellow
Adult Education; Children; Computers and Education; Co-operative Education; Distance Learning; Education; Education Research; E-Education; E-Learning; Learning; Learning and Education; Learning Environment; Pedagogy; Teacher Education; Teacher Professional Learning/Development; Teaching and Learning; Teaching Online; Tertiary Education
interdisciplinary research (engineering education, work-integrated learning), evaluation research
PhD, University of Waikato, New Zealand
MA (Psychology), Vanderbilt University, USA
BEd (Hons) (Major: Guidance & Counselling, minor: TESL), Agricultural University of Malaysia, Malaysia (now known as Universiti Putra Malaysia)
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Khoo, Dr Elaine||6260||ekhoo||TW.1.09||Wilf Malcolm Institute of Educat|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room
Elaine's research interests include teaching and learning in information and communication technologies (ICTs) and online learning environments at the classroom and tertiary levels with particular interests in online learning communities and communities of practice as effective approaches in online teaching and learning environments.
I am a Senior Research Fellow at the Wilf Malcolm Institute of Educational Research (WMIER) in the Faculty of Education at Waikato University. I have research interests in teaching and learning in information and communication technologies (ICTs) including online and Web 2.0 based environments. My PhD research, focused on effective online pedagogies with particular interests in online learning communities, provides the ground for my interests. I have worked as a researcher on a number of externally funded research projects associated with these interests across the primary, secondary and tertiary levels. I have led/ co-led two externally funded and innovative projects that have extended understandings in this field. My interests also include participatory learning cultures and collaborative research, including work with the national and international Collaborative Action Research Network (CARN). One of my key life aspirations is to encourage teachers and learners to see the potential of different ICTs for enhancing teaching and learning and how they can realistically adopt ICTs to transform their teaching and learning practices.
I previously worked as a lecturer in Malaysia at Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) at the Faculty of Cognitive Sciences and Human Development. I had been Head of the Learning Technology Core research Group and Programme Coordinator for the undergraduate Teacher Education Programme as well as collaborated on a range of local and international research in effective ICT-based learning environments.
- Flexible Learning Association of New Zealand (FLANZ, formerly known as DEANZ)
- New Zealand Association for Research in Education (NZARE)
- New Zealand Collaborative Action and Research Network (NZCA and RN)
- Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ASCILITE)
- Australian and New Zealand mobile learning group (anzMLearn)
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Editorial board member for Video Journal of Education and Pedagogy
- Reviewer for British Journal of Educational Technology (BJET), E-Learning and Digital Media, International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning (IRRODL), Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (AJET), Distance Education, Journal of Open, Flexible and Distance Learning (JOFDL), Waikato Journal of Education (WJE), International Journal of Inclusive Education, International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching(IJCALLT), Teachers and Curriculum, Early Childhood Folio, Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, GlobalLearn conferences (2010-2011).
- Guest co-editor for Journal of Open, Flexible and Distance learning (special issue from the DEANZ2016 conference, 2016), Guest co-editor for Computers in New Zealand Schools(CINZS) (special issue on Assessment and ICTs: Innovative practices and future possibilities, 2012)
Cowie, B., & Khoo, E. (2018). An ecological approach to understanding assessment for learning in support of student Writing achievement. Frontiers in Education, 3, 1-13. doi:10.3389/feduc.2018.00011 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/11888
Khoo, E., & Cowie, B. (2018). Mobile makerspaces as a catalyst for fostering STEAM activities in the community.
Cowie, B., & Khoo, E. (2018). Tracing online lecturer orchestration of multiple roles and scaffolds over time. In Online Course Management: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (Vol. 1, pp. 258-275). doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-5472-1.ch014
Khoo, E., & Cowie, B. (2018). Trial-and-error, googling and talk: Engineering students taking initiative out of class. In D. Corrigan, C. Buntting, A. Jones, & J. Loughran (Eds.), Navigating the Changing Landscape of Formal and Informal Science Learning Opportunities (pp. 193-205). Switzerland: Springer International Publishing AG. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-89761-5_12
Find more research publications by Elaine Khoo